Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust bullet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever used this stuff? It's competition for POR-15:

http://www.rustbullet.com/

I have no complaints about POR-15, but you might be able to spray this stuff without killing yourself, which might come in handy sometimes. It also claims to require less fancy prep than POR-15 which requires very good pre-cleaning. Oh, and it doesn't decompose in the sun.

2. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Used it on the frame and suspension of my 78 vette that I'm restoring. I liked the fact requires little to no prep- when compared with the proper method of applying POR15. I top coated the frame with a satin black, and it turned out much nicer than POR15's satin black.... plus its just a spray bomb away to repair any scratches.

It seems to be very tough and does stop rust from propogating.... but the car isn't on the road yet so its true toughness is unkown to me.

I sprayed the frame with my cheapo HVLP gun and it sprayed nice- 2 coats was not quite 1 quart for the vette frame. I wore a respirator as it is overpowering like POR15.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I looked in more detail at the info on their site and it looks pretty good. I think I'll give it a try since my left over POR-15 is probably stale anyway. One place on the site said that it'll pentrate through most paints, which I thought was interesting. So if you had some surface rust on or near/on a painted surface, you might be able to just spray RB all over and it won't just fall off the painted part.

5. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

It can tend to lift it at the start point of the paint unless it is well sanded and all the old paint is well bonded to the metal.

My birdcage had some paint lift on it... but not much.