Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust colored coolant

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Jan 1, 2007.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when fresh green coolant goes to more of a red rust color, what does that usually indicate. service shop at the chevy dealer told me that it is from the intake manifold gasket going bad, whats the deal?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you sure it ever had antifreeze actually in it? I've never seen coolant with a decent ratio actually have the antifreeze dissipate completely and turn to a rust color.

Intake manifold huh??? I would say it's the whole engine, not just the intake! The whole shabang is iron....

3. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

The only thing that I ever saw turn coolant from green to red/orange/brown...ws rust that didn't come out when you flushed it the first time...

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, just went thru it on mine. PO had run water for over a year... took forever to get all that cr*p outta the block...

never heard of an intake causing this.. can't imagine what gasket failure would cause that...

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it is really amazing what some dealerships tell people. Did you talk to a tech or a writer? Most writers know NOTHING about cars. Just the terms so they can relay the info to a customer. If they get asked anything more than what they are prepped for they make up bull**** answers. For the average customer that is fine, but when I hear the **** I get pretty angry because I hate to have the wrong info relayed. If something goes wrong later they have to explain why what they said before was bull**** then what has happened at this point.

I had one writer explaint to the customer that the EVAP system is used to store excess fuel and spray(through an auxillary injector) shots of fuel into the intake manifold at random points.... uhh wow...