Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust converter stuff + heat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1badv10, Aug 23, 2004.

1. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

i was given a couple gallons of this rust converter chemical(similar to POR i think) anybody know how this stuff reacts to heat? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i was thinking of coating my rusty ol' headers but really dont want to breath any more dangerous fumes than normal while driving.. i want to say the name of this stuff is osfow /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifnot sure tho, think i heard someone say that name. thanks guys

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You have to have some serious hi-temp stuff to do headers. If it doesn't say anything about it, I would assume that you couldn't use it.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I spoke to the POR guys in jersey- They said that the POR 15 stuff will not take temps higher than 500 degrees-

To do hedders, your supposed to sand blast the old hedders, and paint it with the POR hedder paint.

4. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

thanks for the info.. thanks to these new york winters i have plenty of other uses for this stuff just thought that may clean up the engine bay a lil and maybe keep those headers around a lil longer. ive never heard of the POR header paint but if i was gonna pull the headers to sandblast em i would just replace em. again thanks alot! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif