Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust..enemy of mine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban350, Jul 15, 2002.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I own a 90' K1500 Suburban(7" lift on 33's), its been driven every Michigan winter for 12 years. The truck sagged in the rear, I thought it was the rear springs, so I bought new ones. It helped a little bit, but didnt solve the sag. Then I took a closer look at the rust-a-f**ked rear end. The body in the rear sags around the rear body mounts due to extreme rust.

I attempted today to repair this sag. $50 of steel and 6 hrs of fabrication and welding I re-enforced most of the body, but it still sags a little bit. I still have to do more fabrication and welding. Im guessing this repair will last only a couple years. I am planning a 14-bolt upgrade before the summers end, so I plan on keeping the truck running(I remember when my dad pulled up in the brand new burban in the summer of 90', which was handed to me in 99', so its got sentimental value)

I have this idea for a SUBURBALANCH. I cut off the rear just behind the passenger doors. Then cut off the rear of an 87' or older pickup and weld that on the Suburban. Then get a long box and cut it down and attach it to the rear of the frame. The front half of the truck is still in good condition(for being that old). It would be a one of a kind truck.

Is this practical?
    Is this going to be expensive(materials)?
    Is this safe?
    Would this be cool or what?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're keeping with the 4 door thing I'd just find a crew cab to swap on, then use a cut down short box for the rest...the Sub is the same length as a regular cab longbox (more or less...)
    I've seen it done and it looks pretty cool. The guy welded the cut down box to the back of the crew cab and did the body work to make it look good. IIRC the wheel opening in the rear was very close to the rear door though. I've driven by this truck a few times but never stopped and took a good look.

Rene

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Ah, rust!
    That's why I bought my '91 from CA /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .
    I also plan to store it come winter time.

4. BigBurban350

I wish I lived in Texas.

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Rust sucks..............
    Grind it out,Cut it out,Hack it out.
    It sounds like you have alot of work ahead of you.Sounds like your idea of putting a box on it would be alot faster and probably turn alot of heads.Back in the early 90's the upper management here thought that extending a brand new burb would be cool. the only thing that stopped them from doing it was the idea of chopping two brand new suburbans to make one with six doors. Guess we could of made the other into a jimmy. But both warranties would of been voided and both vehicles would have to be inspected on a regular basis.Too much hassle for potential customers.
    Check out my rust problems at the link below.
    Good luck with your truck. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wish I lived in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hell, you don't need to live there to take advantage of all the rust free trucks...drive down and buy one, then bring it home. I did.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif I bought an 82 form a member near Austin that looked like it just rolled off GM's assembly line from underneath. Not a spot of rust on that thing...

Rene

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I hear you Michiganders on the rust issue. I've stopped and looked at EVERY old school 4wd chevy that I've come across in the past 2 years... impossible to find a truely rust free one up here unless it came from down south. If anybody is interested I saw a 90 or a 91 burban in downtown Swartz Creek (near Flint) that was from New Mexico with 6100 on it. VERY clean...

9. BigBurban350

Thanks for the input!

Polaris thanks for that pic of what my idea looks like. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif