Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust floor repairs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Feb 25, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just looking for input from those of you who have replaced and or repaired rusted sections in the floor.
    I pulled all my interior out over the wwek end to run my stereo stuff and found more rust than I was aware of. Most of it is the the back seat floor board corners (the common area).
    It seems as though it has spread to the under body support and up to the forward section of the bed pan.
    I checked out the JC Whitney replacement pans. The rear pan comes in 3 sections. So I was planning on cutting out the the front part to accomodate 1 of the 3 replacement panels.

Just looking for additional input on all this.
    thanks in advance.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Check out the post thats still fresh in the forum. We've been talking about it a lot. There are quite a few of us that've done a lot of rust work dealing with the floors. Mine can be seen at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a> If you have more questions PM me, RIZ, Yunit, Boss, and others. I hate leaving them out but I can't remember them all. sorry to ya'll I forgot.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

3. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Depends on how bad it is. I had no idea how bad mine had gotten. Bad, as in, that's the reason it failed inspection. I'm truly suprised no one ever went through the floor.
    Anyways, a buddy and I just welded in some heavy sheet metal patches. Carpet over it, undercoating below it. Can't tell unless you really look at it. The fact that I was a poor college student at the time played a big part in that decision too. If the bed's totally gone, I say use the replacement sections. Otherwise, just patch it - you're gonna beat the hell out of it anyways.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

4. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Well the truth of the matter is once you start cutting out the rust you see then you will find the rust that is hidden .I had to literally cut both side of my floor out from the firewall to the rear step sill and all the way in to the tranny hump then I bought the 4 replacement floor panels from www.autobodyspecialt.com and rewelded them back in then I relaced both rockers and inner rocker panels then por'ed everything and redrilled the seat holes and seat belt holes ..then I bought the entire bed section from gm and welded and bolted it in this was a process that took me over a year to finish and I was driving my blazer daily to work but it all paid off my truck is super solid and there is'nt a spec of rust left on it (thank god) but when I first started I thought I just had to repair little sections (man was i wrong) but a year later and $1000 in sheet metal it was well worth the effort .hope this helps you prepare for the adventure your about to embark in cause chances are there is alot more work than you think.good luck let us know how it turns out......

1988 k-5 blazer 5.7

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I totally agree. Last weekend I took apart my entire front clip. I thought the wheel wells were solid but, where they attached to the tub and the radiator support they were only held on by rust. The bolts ripped right through the metal.

Eventually I will be going through the tub and I know I will find alot of rust. But, its cheaper than a new truck payment!

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup14>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup14</a>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I hear ya. Im finding more and more. I have to have this dog ready to drive in the next week or 2. Im gonna do a patch so I can at least put my driver seat back in. And then do the passenger seat. Adn then I can do the rear section as I can as I'll still be able to drive it then.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]