Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust hole fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Aug 13, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

I have a couple rust holes that i found on the floorboard and where the driver's seat belt bolts to the side of the body. My question is if i plan on cutting these holes out, what thickness steel or anything else should i use to weld back in place? Im open to other ideas too.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I only use 16 guage metal for any repairs I do.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

3. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

did you weld the panels in?

4. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my seat belt mounts (the lower ones had rotted so badly that the mounts pulled right out and just kinda hung on the floor.) Because they were for the seat belts, I used 1/8" steel. I ended up cutting out a section that was probably close to 12" tall and welded in 1/8" mild steel that I had predrilled for the seat belt bolts. 1/8" might've been overkill, but I work in a weld shop, so I had the scraps laying around.

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Yes I did weld the new metal in. I would not do it any other way and I do not overlap patches, they just lead to new rust forming, everything is fit snuggly together then welded. I still have some work to do, but this will give you an idea. I will be posting phase 2 of my new floor install this coming weekend, keep an eye peeled. Also the second link will show you phase 1.
    http://www.geocities.com/bigugly78fromnj/

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Hurry yunit ......hurry !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>