Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust in brand new radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Jan 9, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just put a brand new radiator in my K10 last July, and I just looked inside and noticed some rust starting to form. Is this normal? Im going to change my fluid, should I add any of that rust protection stuff. Thanks

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Did you flush your entire system before install? I am thinking that a little rust is normal. I know that using distilled water is supposed to slow the build up of corrosion.

3. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Don't worry. I'm sure that it's just residual rust from not flushing the block thouroughly enough. Is it green corrosion forming on the copper, or is it orange like rust from steel?

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It is probably residual rust from your block and possibly a little new. I would just flush it like normal. Don't use distilled water as it promotes electolysis when mixed. De inonized water is the proper water to use. Pre mixed antifreeze used deionized water. I just use regular tap water and change it out every year or so.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

None of the materials used in the construction of a radiator can rust. So any rust that you're seeing is coming from the engine block. Sounds like the block needs to be power flushed so that the gunk from it doesn't clog up the tubes in the new radiator.