Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust in cylinder walls and other 350 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 14, 2004.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I got curious today and decided to tear into my 350. Here's what I found.

1. Rust on the cylinder walls. I know this is my fault for letting the truck sit for a while without a hood or an air cleaner on it.

2. Cylinders have been bored .040 over.

3. It's a 1-piece rear main seal with 4 bolt mains.

Now for my questions.

Will I be able to have the rust honed out, or will it have to be bored even more? I ask this because I don't really want to take it to .060 over to drive on every day and tow with.

What did 4 bolt main, 1 piece rear main sealed engines come in? I pulled this engine out of my K5 and I'm just curious what it could have come from. It's obviously a remanufactured engine, given the tag on the side of the engine.

WILL I BE ABLE TO USE THIS BLOCK AND IS IT WORTH A FLIP?!?!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Go rent or buy the cheesy hand drill hones with all the balls on it and it will be fine . New rings and bearings , cam and chain set , some assembly lube , and go wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Oh and I am thinking vettes and camaros , and cop cars along with trucks would get 4 bolt mains , but I am lacking on later model stufff . As far as I am concerned there was a big flood , then it was 1955 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

3/4 tons and one tons still had 4 bolt main blocks.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Our shop teacher showed us how to hone cylinders a long time ago--then he showed us why 90% of all engine rebuilds go bad.He showed us that after wiping the freshly honed cylinder down with gasoline,laquer thinner,or mineral spirits appeared to remove all the gunk and metal particles from the cylinder--we all agreed it was as clean as it could possibly get--then he mixed ivory liqiud dishwashing detergent and water,made some suds,and started swabbing the cylinders out with that,we were all like /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifya,right,that will clean better than solvents--well,the clean white diaper like cloth came out dark gray and full of tiny metal powdered filings that only soap and hot water can remove!Our eyes were like this! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif none of us could beleive how dirty it still was,even after all the solvents left it looking perfectly clean!.He then showed us how to use candle wax (paraffin)to seal the bores up for storage if you cant finish the job right away--I usually use chassis grease to prevent rusting,its easier to remove.I learned a lot that day--I wonder how many engines ever get their Ivory Liquid bath in "professional"rebuild shops?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ok someone answer the questions, besides the one about what the block came from, please.