Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust in cylinder walls of freshly bored motor, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Feb 27, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Theres not alot just a litle surface rust in some of the cylinders. I have some of that gell rust remover that i put on some other metel and seamed to do a good job of removing the rust and not the metel. I just dont know if it would be a good idea to use before the motor is broke in, seams like it might remove to much and give me blow by right there. What do you guys think i should do about it?:confused:

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

some WD40 and a rag should get alot of it gone, then maybe take a hone to it to get the rest out. id use a rigid hone though.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem before, just soaked the cylinders in wd-40, wiped off the rust I could, then soaked the cylinders again, and rotated the engine by hand.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

A hone would be yer best bet with a light rub would with some WD-40 as mentioned. I had to do that on a 351M that blew a head gasket.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its usually a monthly procedure for me on the boats... you can't imagine how many guys run old, bad exhaust (marine manifolds run water thru em, when they go bad, they leak right into the cylinders).

i've done many, no garauntee, in boat, hones with the bottom end together for my cheaper customers.. funny thing is, i've yet to have one fail compression tests down the road. :confused: :what: :doah: :smirk: pretty good for a hack procedure...

i usually use PB and a 3-arm hone...

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Sounds like not too big of a deal then. sweet. thanks for the help as allways!:grin:

7. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

if you decide to "deglaze", make sure you clean the cylinder walls very well. You dont want any rust or grit staying in the engine.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont use "naval jelly"

Whatever you do,dont use "naval jelly" to remove the rust!--that stuff has phosphoric acid in it,and will "eat" pistons and bearings,if it gets in the cranckcase it will raise hell with the lifters and oil pump..I'd just lightly hone it and wash out any grit with hot soapy water and use "Motor Medic" or STP to coat the walls to prevent more rust...We resurected many "seized" motors at the junkyard I worked at for antique cars,that had sat several years,and I'd say 90% survived and ran good after we got them "unstuck" and got them running..:crazy:

9. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

use the wd-40 then coat the cylinders with a small amount of tranny fluid, this will keep it lubed and prevent more rust.