Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust inside axle tubes! How big a concern?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Aug 19, 2002.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I recently flushed out the 14-bolt that I was planning to use and discovered flakes of rusty metal from inside the axle tubes. The gears look ok, but the axles are pitted fairly heavily. I flushed out what seems like a lot a metal - possibly 1/4 cup's worth. Am I worrying too much or should I look for another 14-bolt?

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

yikes, tough call. I would say that they are probably OK strength-wise but if you dont do a hell of a job cleaning the crap out, it will probably end up in your bearings or gears and then you know what happens next

was this axle sitting for a long time or what? rust rarely makes its way inside the axle housing

mike

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get the ball-type hone and stick it in the tubes to clean up the rust. Find a way to fasten the ball hone to a long extension to hook up to the drill and get the inside of the tubes shiny. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif