Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust "on engine"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 26, 2000.

Rust \"on engine\"

Hey everybody, hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been on in a while but that'll change cause school is finally done!

Now my actual question. I was checking my oil (since I am still burning some) and noticed I have rust on all 8 headers coming out of my engine and rust on the metal part of the spark plugs. There also seems to be dirty pastey like "stuff" (seems like oil and dirt) on my valve covers (I think that's the right name, the flat part on the top with the hole I put the oil in after it burns away, lol). Any ideas what's causing this?

Thanks in advance!

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Re: Rust \"on engine\"

Sounds pretty normal to me. Dust will stick to any small oil leak and soon coat the whole engine if never cleaned. The rust can be expected on any bare metal, unless you live in one of those places that never gets any rain.

2. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I agree just rust, dirt, and oil. If you go through alot of puddles get used to it. The only way to keep stuff from rusting is keep it dry, painted, or change it with something that won't rust ie: stainless steel, aluminum, magnesium. All at a price. But as long as it runs who cares right?...

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds normal to me also . Anything bare metal on an engine will get rusty for heating and cooling and any moisture in the air . You might try a high heat paint on the headers , header paint isonly to keep it from rusting until you buy .