Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust on my 72

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazokon, Dec 5, 2003.

1. blazokon

blazokon Registered Member

i have a ton of rust on the outer cab floor. outrigger cab support is basically gone. also the inner and outer rocker pannels. what is my best option? should i get new stuff and weld it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Look two post up in the cancer help post and it will have most of your answers but in short get ready for a lot of cutting and replacing with new steel. you will have to decide stock or not if you are planing on rock sliders build them inplace of the roker boxes.
    Earl

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I found a K5 that had very little rust (so cal truck) so I consider myself very lucky, not sure what all the parts and time add up too, but I would think finding a cleaner K5 would be cheaper in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

find a clean truck if at all possible, save yourself alot of work and cash and trouble

buying rust is bad way to go, try to avoid if at all possible, i know there are clean trucks in cali, you should be able to find a bunch there, i cant believe one with as much rust as you are describing exists there, but maybe it is possible, maybe the truck is not from cali originally, hmm.

good luck

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My truck has been in CA all it's life. It has a fair ammount of rust and has rusted through in a few places.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Don't listen to what anybody says about getting rid of it and finding a cleaner one. Fix it! You'll feel better doing it and also knowing you saved another K5 from possible demise! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It may be more expensive and harder but it will also be a great learning experience.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi,

Another great new member! 1st Post.....already paid for a membership.....and another 1st Gen guy from the Bay Area!

Welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You'll find that there are a substantial amount of "local" guys around here that can help you out (and quite a few with 1st Gen K5s too)

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sometimes your money ahead to find a body with little or no rust and replace the rusted out one.

9. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

if you feel comfortable with the body work i would go for it.your probably like me and got a killer deal on a rusted out one that in the long run you maybe money ahead.also by doing it yourself you'll create a bond with your k5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthis forum and your local one will help it go smoothly. welcome to ck5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

The thing with 1st gen K5 is that every part can be replaced except one the wind shield frame no one reproduces them yet but some have used a truck frame to make a new one with but I have never seen it done my self I have an extra one at the house that is going to go in to my blazer as soon as I get every thing else done in the mean time I’ve offered to let Wes send it out to try and have it reproduced the problem is it may be a while before I get it back but if they can make them I know a lot of K5 that will be saved from the salvage yards. when I started to redo the inside of mine I bought a long wheel base 75 chevy bed to use for the interior sheet metal with plans on making it look original but as my plans changed I sold it and used 14G diamond plate steel instead I found a rust free 68 that had been striped of every thing except the body and it gave me my fenders hood and doors and a friend used the cab to save on time and money on his 68. The only reason I am going threw so much is because it is a K5 and I looked for a while to find one that was in better shape but no luck Here on the east coast you just cant find them any more. I even thought a bought buying a fiber glass cab and short box and make it in to a k5 but decided to just redo the original steel lucky for me the only body work I had to do on the exterior was one fender and some small dents other then the windshield frame witch took almost a year to find a good one I could use.

11. blazokon

blazokon Registered Member

where to go for sheet metal and foor pans for 1st gen k5

thanks for the support guys. i paid only 1000 for the blazer. it came with 2 fenders, 2 quater panels, and also 2 doors. did i get rippped off or was it a ok deal. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    i got a ton of rust as i stated. thanks for the site greg72.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: where to go for sheet metal and foor pans for 1st gen k5

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks for the site greg72.

[/ QUOTE ]

.....I just work here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

You can check out my posts.
    Robin's Cancer Repair

I've just gone through this... Can't say that it was fun, but for the most part, a 30yr old Blazer will have rust. Think of it as a "save-a-blazer" cause. It can be the charitable deed you do this winter...

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: where to go for sheet metal and foor pans for 1st gen k5

i can show you some pics of blazers that will make u feel much better about what u have! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i parted out 2 blazers so far becuae the bodies were just to rusted out to even bother with, with out practicly replacing the whole damn body. my pickup has some rust...cab corners are gone...inners and supports are starting ot get a little on the rougher side..but still intact...and my box area were the tailgate hinges bolt to is all gone, so i cant use a tailgate.., and of course i have uite a few dents /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but other than that its pretty solid, and i dont even worry about it. may not be pretty, but most fo the time it runs great and is a really fun truck to drive.