Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust on windshield corner?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86DIESEL, Feb 4, 2003.

1. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

How should i go about fixing rust on the bottom corners of my windshield on an 86? There is a small visible rust hole on either side and i'm afraid there's even more rust under the gasket of the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull the windshield, clean it all out, and weld it up. Anything less and you will pay for it later.

BTDT, if you don't fix it now, either A) the truck will be scrap B) it will cost more to fix than the truck is worth.

3. 86DIESEL

Thanks for the info 535, I was afraid that was the kind of answer i was going to get.

I might as well replace my pitted and cracked windshield while i'm in there fixing the rust and have to remove it. Anybody got a suggestion on where to get a good windshield. I remember the GlassPro in town wanted 300 something installed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. But i just want a windshield not installed. Any suggestions.

4. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

are you talking about rust between the windshield gasket and the metal surrounding it, or the piece of chrome that is embedded in the gasket itself. If it rust on the chrome piece in the gasket it is an easy fix. You can have another one installed at your local winshield place for about 30 bucks. THe readdish color is not actually rust but a bacteria. I had this happen to mine after the factory windwield was replaced. The after market ones let moisture into the gasket. If you actually have rust on the body itself i can't help you there. Good luck either way.

5. 86DIESEL

Its actual rust on the body not the trim /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Mine is rotten right across the lower frame of the windshield under the gasket and also under the big gasket between the door and the rear of the fender. Might want to check that area as well.

Good luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've got a section from a clean truck cab to graft in which is still going to be alot of unpleasant body work! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif