Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust... (pics)

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Madbomber88, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Well I tore into my new truck this weekend and got to try out my new toy (Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter). That thing is worth its weight in gold!
    Took out my carpet and found out the previous owner did some sketchy repairs. Riveted in pieces of sheetmetal in the floor and rockers and then used bondo as glue without painting any of it. To top it off, they even left the bondo spreader in the bondo and bondo'd over it... never seen that before.

Anyway, got the driver's side new rocker in, and a good chunk of the floor, but wow, the replacement floor pans don't fit well at all, and the front replacement panel and the rear replacement panel don't even match up where they meet!

P1010353.JPG

P1010363.JPG

2. Madbomber88

3. Madbomber88

and more...

P1010371.JPG

P1010372.JPG

4. Madbomber88

Finally...

P1010374.JPG

P1010377.JPG

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am impressed with your work and boy do you a lot ahead of you !!!!I have to ask what you paid for your plasma cutter and what are you welding with ? It looks great so far !!!!keep up the great work and love the story about the bondo job !!!LOL

6. Madbomber88

Thanks for the kind words.

I paid about a grand for the plasma cutter but went in on it with my brother and a friend, so it wasn't too bad. I did lots of research before settling on that one, will cut up to a half an inch very well and 5/8" ok. I'll never need more than that, and Thermal Dynamics and HyperTherm are the only two manufacturers that only make plasma cutters, or at least that's what I was told by the expert.

The welder is a Millermatic challenger 172, 230 volt. I love it, never had any problems with it.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Pics like those make me appreciate my rust free truck so much more every day :grin: I don't miss the rust one bit!

8. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice work. When I'm done with my project I'll show everyone how it comes out when a lazy amateur does it. :blush: Much grinding, hammering and rewelding is taking place. Welding to 100% rust doesn't work very well either.