Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust pics.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Jul 29, 2001.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW Kev!!! You have your work cut out for you!!! You planning to have that done by next weekend? [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Are yu saying that I'm slow..........well, I am ! I hope to have it all OUT by next weekend !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

4. thatK30guy

Mentally, yeah, you're slow!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

No, J/K!!! [​IMG]

Yeah, I know about taking panels out. They DO take some time to get out, but putting the new ones back in will take longer than taking the old ones out!!! Trust me on that!!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Not realy what I wanted to hear !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. thatK30guy

Ok, to make you feel better........the new stuff will go in faster than a speeding bullet!!! [​IMG] You will have them in, in about 2 hours at least. [​IMG]

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Seriously, do you mean figuring out how or things not aligning or whatever ?

L8r,

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Actually i think the new stuff goes in way easier than taking out the old. no more rusty bolts to fight, spot welds to find etc...

I wouldn't concern yourself with how long it takes...once its all done the hours won't mean as much as how good a job you did. Its worth it Riz...just keep telling yourself that! When its all done you'll really have something to be proud of!

Keep it up!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Thanks for the support !

L8r,

10. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Sweet pics Kev. Keep them coming, so you are riping the floor out with no new floor to put back in yet??? Or did you finally get the floor?? I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Keep me informed on any tips or anything that would be helpful. Good luck on the rest and we'll keep in touch!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=bad</font color=blue>

11. thatK30guy

Rene has a point there, but when anybody does a 'hack' job to tear out the old stuff, they do it fast and with reckless abandon.

The newer stuff can take longer to put back in, ESPECIALLY, if you want to do it right and make everything fit and look good the first time. You have heard the slang "measure twice, cut or weld once". The same thing applies here. Also with welding the panels, etc. you have to wait between beads to cool the welds off or you end up with warped panels, etc. Plus, to make the stuff fit, cutting and grinding will need to be done.

All that adds up to time. Where you can take the old rusted stuff out, that can go pretty quick. Just the new stuff can take longer when you want to do it GOOD. [​IMG]

How do I know all this? I was in automotive body technology school after high school. I did some body repair and painting for a few years after graduating. I have done my share of this stuff. I would NOT go back to doing it though. Its more a hobby now than a job.

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I too take my time and explore what the reprocussions would be if I did it fast or crappy ! I ask more questions than a child at the monkey display at the zoo when doing a project ! I'm not stupid, I just like to hear any little tid bit from some more experienced people on the subject. I decided to start tearing it all down so I have a bit of a head start when the stuff arrives..........also, I plan on cleaning up the frame and other stuff while it accessable .......maybe some painting or POR-15 ? Then I'll drop it in and it will look nice underneath as well !

L8r,

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Here's one of my dad helping me fight the rust !

www.geocities.com/rizmonkey

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Sorry, the picture quality isn't the greatest, it was getting dark ad I should have changed the settings on my camera but didn't !

L8r,

16. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hey! Your dad looks pretty cool![​IMG]

"rustdad.jpg" LOL!!

Good luck Riz!!

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

17. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looking good Riz! How are those mid floor body mount perches, rotted? I need to weld some plate on top of mine this weekend.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Nice and solid. I have a question for you .........where's part 2 of your write up ? I'm waiting ! LOL !

Seriously, in your article it says that if you replace the wheel wells, it bolts to the floor instead of spot welding......Is that the same for all wheel wells or just from one place ? Did you mean from GM or LMC or ??????? thanks !

L8r,

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I bought my wheel wells from LMC, I am not sure if they are all the same. They came with a C10 pickup sticker on them. You will need to bolt the floor in and then the wells, this will allow you to mark the floor on where it has to be drilled, remove the wells drill your holes and then you are all set. If you get a set of wells with no holes, just drill them and use a nut and bolt combo to mate them together; use plenty of lock tite though. later and good luck.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

20. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Hey, nice pics. You're goin' whole hog on that floor!

I've been eyeballin' a sheet of 1/4" checker plate laying out behind this shop near where I park to catch the train, finally today I asked the shop manager about it. He let me have it! Not only that, he asked if I wanted a 6 ft. stretch of 6X6X1/4" square tube! Duh, yeah!

Keep up the good fight.

John