Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust prevention

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I decided not to hijack the thread about the frame-up restoration...

What is the best way to protect the underside of the truck and treat some very minor rust that's starting? I'm in the "salt zone" here in Iowa and I want to get ahead of this before it becomes a problem. I had the factory undercoating, but it's half gone by now.

Are ny of the commercial, Ziebart type things any good? People seem to like POR-15, but what a lot of work that would be to lay on my back and brush that all over the place. And how would it work with bits of rubberized undercoat still on there?

Any other good options? I used to get under there and spray around with Rustoleum every year or two, but that's really not cutting it it doesn't seem.

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I just put some POR-15 on my Jimmy that had some rusty spots and so far its doing good. Just my .02$

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Zeibart is an excellent parafin based rust preventative... my forest service truck service body has been sprayed in it and over the years when I lived east I had a number of trucks sprayed with it...
    BUT
    the installer has to be experienced and not just a squirt here and there.. it involves drilling numerous holes in areas that are sealed and injecting the stuff,,, while being knowledgable enough not to block drain holes etc...
    HOWEVER
    in your case its not applicable and would only be warrantied in a new vehicle without rust..
    it doesnt go well over old undercoat
    I think as the other post said por15/painting is the way to go unless you are ready for a frame off restoration
    my four cents
    cam

4. Mastiff

Anyone tried spraying the POR-15 instead of brushing?

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just Painted my frame with por 15 and it came out great.I brushed the 15 and sprayed the Blackcote.A lot of work but it is worth it.Be careful to spray or brush in an well ventilated area,The fumes are really bad.

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Sprayed my frame with por, works nice uses more product though.

7. Mastiff

I put POR-15 selectively on my frame, axles and underbody this weekend. I just put the POR on creases and places that were already starting to rust a little, the rest I hit with gloss back rustoleum. We'll see how it holds up this winter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well most of the problems with rust on these trucks is GM didn't do any rust proofing where it was needed. These trucks rust from the inside out because there wasn't even paint in placs like inside the rockers till around 87 when they started with the Galvanizing (then the paint fell off)

The problem now is if rust is forming in those areas then stuff like Zibart is not going to work. POR15 might if you can get it into those areas. Eastwood has some rust proofing tools and you might beable to use those with the POR15 to get those areas treated.

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

best way i found was have a oil leak like at the pinoin seals or at the slip yoke so the oil gets slinged around everyware in that vicinity and wah-lah instant rustproofing, i also heard of guys after their oil change, taking the old oil and puttin it in a spray gun and spraying the whole under side of it, thus, oil will keep the metal wet and free of rust. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    best way i found was have a oil leak like at the pinoin seals or at the slip yoke so the oil gets slinged around everyware in that vicinity and wah-lah instant rustproofing, i also heard of guys after their oil change, taking the old oil and puttin it in a spray gun and spraying the whole under side of it, thus, oil will keep the metal wet and free of rust. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard of that too. What a mess though! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I solved my rusting rocker problem, I cut them out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my truck is suprisingly good rust wise on the floors and stuff for being around here...i just took the carpet out and plan on some rhino liner..and my undercoating is coming off the floors on the bottom too..so ill probobly just por-15 everything under there! and wash it a LOT in the winter!! all though my cab corners are gone and my rockers are starting to get a little rotted. but they are still solid for the most part.

13. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

You should acctually use a fresh air breathing setup when using any POR15 product it has alot of isocynides in it which can cause nerve damage, permanant lung damage, and of course death. Spraying it makes it even worse.

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You should acctually use a fresh air breathing setup when using any POR15 product it has alot of isocynides in it which can cause nerve damage, permanant lung damage, and of course death. Spraying it makes it even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

....as all of us think back to when we used the stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

whasdacha talking about? *Twitch*

*twitch* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't care about drilling a few new holes, taking a pair of semi-truck mud flaps, and hanging them from the front and rear of the wheel well opening (inside) will prevent mud and water from being slung up into the rockers and bed supports, etc. It really doesn't need to hang down below the lower edge of the body (so you won't notice it really) as long as you aren't lifted, since the middle of the axle isn't too far below that point, which is where the stuff is kicked off.

Look inside the wheel well front and rear, and you'll see how GM did nothing to protect that area from tire "debris". You won't prevent all of it, but if you can keep it from piling up, you can keep it from being insulated...if it stays wet (and salty back east) you'll get rust. Dirt and what not provides the insulation.

I've done this "mod" to the front of the rear wheelwell on my truck (to keep the cab supports/rockers from rotting out) and it works REALLY well, but I'm not drilling holes to hang the rear piece, although it's pretty obvious how much garbage ends up on the underside of the truck because there is no shield there. If you pull off the rear bumper "filler" panel (between the bumper and tailgate) and take a drive through mud, you'll see mud across the top of the rear bumper in two obvious tracks that corresponds to the tires. With that plate in place, it's still being thrown up under there, you just can't see it as easily.