Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Jul 10, 2005.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm to the point on the project truck where it's time to deal with some of the rust on the body. The passenger side is really bad and rotted all the way through. The dirvers side isn't as bad but it's on its on its way. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do about these 2 spots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

eesh, that looks like a Jersey truck....

my 77 was somewhat like that, little worse actually.. i had some at the top too..

couple ways to go about it from hack to correct....

the right way is to buy some spotweld drillbits and remove the outer driprail. cut the rust away behind it, blast it, weldthru primer, patch. then reinstall the outer driprail, plugwelding the spotwelds you drilled out..

actually if its just at the bottom you could prolly just cut away a lower section to get at under rust and patch the removed piece back in.. i needed to do the whole thing..

to do the whole driprail requires a bunch of body c-clamps, hammers and dollys, sandblasting, etc... some metalwork ability.. patience..

i ended up not doing mine and setting it aside for a trail rig.. i do however have some pics of the driprail being removed.. you have to have spotweld bits for this... like these..
    [​IMG]

heres what it does...
    [​IMG]

reminds me of the days of restoing Mack trucks.. rotboxes with a ton of spotwelds... ;)

you could also clean it up as best as possible and just patch whats exposed.. but it'll continue moving and come out somewhere close soon enough..

heck, you could pack it with 2 part foam or newspaper, throw a little dynaglass on it, paint and get a few years out of it...

or.... full convertable!

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I got from the san diego(beach city) area so I'm guessing thats why it's so bad

wow thats some great info. Thanks for the help. It's going to be a trail only rig so it doesn't have to be perfect but I'd like to get it under control before it really ruins the whole body. And as long as it's totally gutted right now I figured I might as well take care of it.

4. ryoken

no prob man... :D

i would try to keep it tight in your case cuz you've never done it before.. maybe just cut a rectangle out maybe 3, 4"s.. if the outer curved driprail section isn't bad. leave it and cut off at that vertical bodyline in the jam and over torwards the interior. so its just a flat piece your removing on top if that makes sense to ya.... prolly just need a cutoff wheel and spotweld bit.. should only be 1 or 2 spotwelds down there.. you could prolly cutoff wheel it and bust the spotwelds with an airhammer or chisel without too much damage..

honestly, the biggest factor is if you blast it.. its critical on rust work.. worth renting a blaster for the day or having one come in... btw, spotweld bits can be pricey....

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Meaning sand blasting right??
    I've got access to the sand blaster, bits and a welder. Like you said I've never done it before but you gotta learn somehow. Plus I'll have good supervision while I'm attempting the work :haha: :haha: .
    I know it probably won't be but it's sounding easier than I first thought when I looked at it. I'll look at it in more detail tonight and decide what directoin I'm going to go.
    Thanks again :bow:

6. ryoken

feel free to pm as your going thru the steps if ya got any questions... its just time consuming work...

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

cool...will do