Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Jan 28, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

yeah i was going over my blazer looking for rust spots and found in the back just in front of where the carpet attaches that one of the screw holes for the metal plate that holds it down had rusted out and was now the size of a golfball and all i could see was the floor. How should i go about repairing this? Should i have a new piece of metal welded in or is it too close to the gas tank? What bout fiberglassed weaved in with the metal?

i need some help if you can give it to me.

2. dewey

dewey Registered Member

i have had great luck with that fiberglass with the weave...Just get the true fiberglass, not the nylon-like stuff. I redid the exact spot your talking about. Lay it on nice and thick. After drying, I just drilled a pilot hole, and it hasn't come loose yet..If I had it my way, I would fiberglass everything that doesn't need too much structural integrity, because then rust-be-gone and stay-gone..good luck.