Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RUST Problems =(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swampblazer, Jun 27, 2003.

1. swampblazer

swampblazer Registered Member

on my 88 k-5 i resently removed the entire interior as for the need of a redo. well i pulled the rear carpet and found that the body mounts just above the rear axle are rotted completely out and the rears are on their way. i was considering cutting all the rear floor out and welding in plate steel. is this an ok solution to build off of stucturally?
    thanx

2. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

Go to LMC truck get a catalog and get the right parts to fix it. I got the floor pan and some other panels.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about the crossmember that the body mounts bolt to being rotted out welcome to the club. Unfortunatly I have not found any place that sells one. The factory discontinued them for my 79 K5 back in 86. I had to weld a piece of 4" channel in to use as a crossmember but if it's just the holes that are roted you can weld a steel plate in and burn a hole in it for the bushing. http://community.webshots.com/photo/77458120/77458716uwHiBs

4. swampblazer

yeah the crossmember is rotted completely out as well as the floor pan. today i got a lucky find and bought a brand new GM replacement one piece rear floor pan from the tailgate to the front step. i just need to make some sort of crossmember
    thanx!
    luke

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're talking about the tailpan at the rear LMC truck sells that for about a yard and a half...

Rene

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that's why mine is a little pick-up now.my 79 was so rotted out that i could open the drivers door and STAND behind the steering wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. swampblazer

i hate rust,
    but i got the hole rear floor pan replacement gm with all the braces and brackets. so it should be alright. its from the tailgate to the back of the front seats. all one piece. i just need to make a set of body mount braces for above the axle!
    luke