Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust proof shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Apr 27, 2007.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be replacing the shocks soon, going with the Ford mounts up front and DIY4X flip and inboarding on the rear. So I'm guessing I'm looking at something in the 15" range?

I have been leaning towards Rancho's 9000 series adjustable.

What I REALLY want is something that won't look like garbage after three months! I really get irked at crappy rusty shocks.

I have seen one company (don't recall who now) offering units constructed with aluminum. Does anyone have some suggestions or links? :dunno:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  2. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

TTT for the evening crowd.

The aluminum that I know of is the Robby Gordon MX6 they aren't available longer than I think 12" and they hover close to $200. :rolleyes:

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

All of SAW's shocks are aluminum, as are King's and some Fox's. None of them are cheep, but all of them are a better shock for off road use than those previously mentioned.

Aluminum bodies won't necessarily fix this problem, only make for a different set of problems. MISF POR-15's his Rauncho's, & black is a better fade resisting color than white anyway.

FWIW when you start into the above type of shock mostly what you'll find are even number stroke lengths.

Were it me I'd buy a set of steel can'd Fox's and paint them with something durable.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the leads.

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Thom,

Saw-A-Way, King and Fox all use ferrous material for their shock bodies and most reservoirs (King uses aluminum reservoirs) and have them plated for rust resistance.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On some of them, but not on all of them. Perhaps the change is with a body larger than 2.0" or a coil-over body?

The rear 2.5's SAW's and the 2.0 c/o's SAW's on Wayne's 2 seater are aluminum. Can't say I've ever seen a steel bodied SAW, but I'm relatively new on the scene. I have the old rear set of 2.0 Fox's off BCG1's old Pre-Rnnr and they are steel. The King by-pass' on Jav's 7S S-10 are steel (obviously), but the smooth bodies are aluminum.