Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust questions *pics*

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by nerraw117, Apr 9, 2005.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

ok so i have a little rust question and i have some questions about it. for the floor boards there are not that much rust, would a small guage metal befine to just weld completely over it after u put something on it to stop it from rusting? and has anyone used lmc for there front lower quater panal ( i think thats it, i will be a pic whore and post pics)

passenger side floor board [​IMG]

passenger side front lower quarter?? [​IMG]

driver side pic (same as last on just on another side) [​IMG]

same as before just not so close up [​IMG]

any ideas how to fix this? [​IMG]

driver side floor pan [​IMG]

anyone have help on how to fix these or know any patch panals? what yall think? lol sorry to be a pic whore

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

the interior ones can easily be fixed by welding in a patch of metal over the hole and then shoting it w/some paint. it looks like the rockers were already replaced but there wasant much to weld to on either quaterpannel. i woul do my best to tack a thin piece maby 12-15 gague piece of sheet metal over the other holes, bend them around the bodys curve, get a good weld all the way around and then useing a angle grinder grind the edges down smoothe trying to make a transition with the metal as best as you can. then if you really care throw some bondo on to smooth out the welds and paint.

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

do i need to cut out any rust prior? and doesnt lmc make a replacemtn part for the quarter panal in the pic (the rust on the outside). i will probally have a body shop do this because i dont have a welder nor know how to weld and dont know how to do body work. anyone know how much a body shop would charge to do this? it doesnt have to look great because herculine is going over all of the interior and pretty thick too

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

anyone?

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if that is the front lower qurter panal? the rust on the outside that is

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well buddy, it looks like you have the EXACT same rust issues that I am having. My floors are rusted in the back corners of the cab floor where it steps up the the bed, inder the passenger and drivers seats, at the tailpan, and at the junction of the rear quarter panels and the rocker panels. Here is how I am going about fixing it.

The back corners of the cab floor where it step up to the bed, I am just cutting out the rust with a cutting wheel and using some 14ga. sheet metal to make some panels to weld in.

Same goes for around the front seats: I am usingsheet metal to make patches that I am going to weld to the original sheet metal that is in good shape. I am going an extra step further around the seat though, and adding some reinforcement so the weight of my fat butt doesn't cause "oil canning" of the sheet metal at the base of the seat. I will probably just use some thicker strap steel welded under the seat base to spread the load.

For teh rust at the tailpan, I bought replacement bed panels from Goodmark. I am also going to cut the top of the tailpan off and weld on some 1/4" strap steel for the new top. That is, of course, if my existing tailpan has enough good metal to weld to. If it doesn't, I am either going to make a new tailpan out of box tubing OR buy a new tailpan from Goodmark

For the junction of the rocker and the rear quarter panels, I am going to install replacement rockers from Goodmark and I am also going to make a trip to a salvage yard and cut out the lower front section of the left and right quarter panels and weld them in in place of the rusted metal I end up cutting out.

Overall, fixing body rust isn't that bad if you have patience, a welder, a cut-off wheel, a grinder and some creativity.

I highly suggest Goodmark replacement pannels over other companies like LMC. I bought some floorpans from LMC one and they SUCKED. Terrible fit and PAPER thin to boot...

Chris

7. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

wow you great options, yea thats what i completey plan on doing, but dont know about the rear floor and tailpan because i only have a small amount of rust maybe the size of a pencil, and dont know if i am going to replcae rockers because i heard they were hard to do