Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust re & re

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NeutralMan, Jan 23, 2002.

1. NeutralMan

NeutralMan Registered Member

i have 85 k5 the floor pan behind the drivers seat is rusted out so i started to replace it "" omg "" . i find a bigger problem the cross member just behind the seat is also gone. is there a chev where this area is protected better ? or is it best to make out of 1/8 in steel ? i have been looking in
    wrecker for a while now and not have found a good part to cut out ?

im desperate ( wife wants her 38's back on )

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Had the same prob when I replaced my bed floor. You should dump the garbage theu used for the subframe, sealed lightweight tubing doesn't have much longevity. What I did was cut out whats left and used 1/8" box tubing. I took it all the way out to the rocker panel area and welded it to there. Then I went inside and cut something like a 3"x3" hole in the floor so I could get at the new nut I had for the body mount. I know cutting holes in the floor doesn't sound too apealing, but neither is having to do it when that caged nut for the body mount has slipped and you're cursing up a storm. I just cut a piece of sheet metal, seam sealed it in, and used a few screws. So now I can easily get at the body mount bolt with out fear having the nut slip.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>