Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RUST REMOVAL HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chaserooooo69, May 28, 2003.

1. chaserooooo69

chaserooooo69 Newbie

I just got my new 80 blazer with only 57,000 orignial miles on it. it does appear to have some surface rust on the wheel wells, not bad for a vehicle older than i am. I was wandering if anyone out there had any ideas for me on how to attack this. i want to get to it before it rusts anymore. i havn't done any bodywork before so i'm an idiot when it comes to the terminoligy and i'd rather learn and do it myself then spend money for someone to do it and not know how good of a job it is. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

There are alot of products out there that claim to kill rust by painting the product over it, but I believe the only way to solve to problem is to cut out the rust and weld in new sheetmetal.

3. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Your first step is to COMPLETELY fill out your profile. This will help us to help you. If you do not take the time to fill out your profile w/ all info....it tells us that you are only interested in PULLING info off of this board, and not contributing.

That being said, take a screwdriver and poke formly in and around the rusted areas. Don't worry, if the metal is OK the screwdriver will not hurt anything. If the metal is rusted, it will poke through and show you where it needs to be replaced.

If it is just "surface rust", you can quickly fix it by spraying a rust converter product over the rusted areas. Follow the directions on the can and finish w/ paint to keep it protected.

If it is not just surface rust, you are best off to fix it right the first time. Take it down to bare metal by sanding, chemical stripping, or using a rust remover (like naval jelly which is a jelled acid solution). Then either fill in the areas w/ a quality plastic/fiberglass filler or weld in patch panels. Then prep, prime, and paint.

"Rust never sleeps"
    --Neil Young--

....so the sooner you take care of it,the better.

P.S. Take steps to ensure that you get all of the rust (you can't seal out moisture to stop rust, there is already enough moisture present to perpetuate the process if rust is currently present. Sealing over it will only accelerate the process). Also make sure that moisture is not entering from the other side of the metal.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

honestly, one thing I need to point out here...I am a member of probably 20-30 forums from game forums to computer tech forums to auto forums...and this is the only place I got jumped on for not making a profile before making my first post. Chill and be nice about it, just because someone doesn't fill out a profile doesn't mean they are an automatic dick, most people don't think it's that important and don't relish giving out personal info on the net so they don't even look at the profile form to see that it just asks for vehicle info. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ gravedgr -- mastercraft can just chill out a bit /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif.
    I also agree with most of the rust advice. If you want a real fix, cut it out. If its just very light surface rust you might be able to rub it out.
    Good luck

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Cut the fenders till you can fit 44's w/ no lift! You don't have to worry about it rusting there again if the tires scrub the sheet metal every time you hit a bump... Just an idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'll have to keep all of your advice in mind. I am going to have to fix some spots on my truck as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

How about chill yourselves. Since you are so "board savvy", you must also admit that this forum is very unique by ranking w/ one of the best resources for otherwise unobtainable info. ]

There is a big difference from being a di%k, as you put it so eloquently, and being direct.

I was given this same advice when I was an early poster from a couple Vets of this post, and I am appreciative of that adviced to this day. It is good advice.

Personal info is not needed if you are worried about the boogie man stalking you on the web...truck info can help us to help someone else out of a problem or warn them of problems that they will have before they have them.

If Chaser0000069 took offense to my direct approach, then I apologize if I ruffled his/her feathers. However, I am willing to bet that he/she has thicker skin.

Maybe you, gravedigr, should use an approved pry-bar on your wallet and pony up the measly amount needed to change the color of your name and contribute financially instead of squatting.

If you or fubeca are offended by my first reply, perhaps you should let your husband screen what you view on the web so as not to offend your sensitive nature, you delicate flowers.

"Mea Culpa Mea F...ing Culpa"
    --The Godfather--

"If you want to be PC, go be PC somwhere else"

--Jim Rome--

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i agree with mastercraftkpk on the profile. there has been a lot of times that people don't give enough info on their vehicle when they ask a question. by having the vehicle info at a minumim in their profile it will help other users to answer their questions quicker, and more accurately. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    honestly, one thing I need to point out here...I am a member of probably 20-30 forums from game forums to computer tech forums to auto forums...and this is the only place I got jumped on for not making a profile before making my first post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with ya here... no idea why peeps need to know what kinda rig you have considering the topic you are asking a question about. There ARE times when general profile info about a posters rig is VITAL to answering a question.... but this isn't one of those cases. All of that said, if you decide to stick around, its only a matter of time before you ask a question in which profile info will be important so its worth the time to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j