Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, May 24, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am needing an easy way to clean up my axel I will be installing soon, it is rusted of course. I dont have a sand blaster and dont ever want to move this thing again. I was thinking Naval Jelly and some rust oleum..any ideas?

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The Eastwood Company makes a product called Corroless. It's a rust stabilizer that chemically turns rust into a hard primer-like coating that's ready for paint. A little expensive, but if you do it right, you won't need to worry about rust for a LONG time.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

POR 15 works very well and offers many restoration products.Beleive they have a website not sure of address.

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I just used POR-15 on my entire frame, axels, leaf springs.. I love it.. it seems very durable.. good luck

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey BlazerBoy
    How much prep did you need to do before appling the POR15 to your frame?? Or do you just applyit right over the rust??
    Thanks

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Go to por15.com they have a step by step guide to rust removal..it looks like a winner

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

They say that you at least clean up the loose rust, then apply there product called metal ready which is suppose to destroy the rust then apply the por-15. I Sand blasted my entire frame, axels, springs every thing then used there metal ready and then the por-15. I looks great, seems pretty durable, I guess we will have to see. You can spray it or brush it, just dont get it on yourself or any thing else of importance. It will never come off. hope this helps..

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

right on! I was just cruzin there site and this looks like some cool stuff!! Very good bookmark!
    Later

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If you have any pics that would be cool..did you pull the body off? did you use spray or brush??

10. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I did POR 15 on my frame and entire underside of the body a year ago' still look like the day I painted it. Great stuff if you follow the directions.

79Jimmy