Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust repair advice (weld? paint?)

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Pookster, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

My new DD, the 83 burb, has some serious rust- Luckly, its the pretty "common" rust areas.

Doors (Rust on both the inner and outer skins)
    Rockers- Yep, they need to be replaced
    Fenders- The rear of the burb, about 2" of the leading edge, Front fenders, about 3" of the part right under the bumper.

What is the proper way to go about tackling this? I've delt with minor rust, but not rust this serious- im thinking just get cheap made in taiwan doors with both the inner and outer, and just swap the guts over.

Do you think I should just trim the fenders, and POR15 them up?

What about the rockers? There's about 50% of it left, and the previous owner gave me new rockers, do I just sawzall the old one out, and weld in the new one?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My way might not be "proper"

I have dealt with more rotted cabs and floors than I care to remember..I usually dont get too anal about how good looking my vehicles are,my theory is once its been rotted out once and repaired,it will never be perfect again anyway--so I concentrate on just welding in new panels or patches,and get the srtuctural strength back,and paint it with POR-15 or similar stuff,and hope it takes longer than a few years before having to do it again--its a losing battle here in the northeast!.
    :mad:
    I have used the rocker panels from tiwan ,they usually last a fair amount of time if you paint them well and undercoat them,they are thinner than the GM ones though--same with the door shells,and the tiwan doors dont always fit that great--I just made a sheet metal "skin" for the bottoms of my 82 K20 out of heavy 16ga galvanized,looks crude with 100 drive screws holding it on,but a lot better than a door with the bottom 6 inches missing--I would have welded it,but the door has an inch of bondo,anb its hard to weld too :blush: Looking back,the doors on my 74 were off an 86 truck,and were in better shape,but still in need of a few holes patched--shoulda just put them on it instead!.. :blush:

The rockers can be had in a few different styles,partial, and full--the "full" ones are for badly rusted trucks and they go up almost to the lower door hinge and about 4" up the door post---the "partial" ones usually slip over the remains of the old rotted one and are welded to it--the "full" ones require a bit of surgury with the sawsall to remove the old rotted remains and allow the new one to fit right--(none of the trucks I fixed could have used the "partial" ones--a few I had to add even MORE to the "full" rockers to find solid metal to weld to!)...

Leave enough "overlap" at the sides to weld too--the welds are the first spot to rust again,since its bare metal after the welder burns off all the paint underneath where you cant get at it to paint or undercoat it...its a little hard to line them up with the doors,I have done quite a few,and only one or two came out looking like I did a good job!--and I tried to!!--Don't forget to close the door and see how it lines up before doing any more than tack welds!! :blush:
    I make my own floor patches,usually one large galvanized peice of 16 ga steel--the 73-87 floors arent that bad to fab youself,the floor is fairly flat,and simple to make the new ones--67-72's are much more difficult due to all the curves and "humps"...

-I am in the process of stripping my 74 K20 for parts,and I cant believe how rotted the frame got it the past 2-3 years,(I put a ball peen hammer thru it without too much effort! :blush: )and the flatbed I made less than 10 years ago out of 4 inch "C" channel that was freshly painted then,now has layers 1/16 of an inch thick peeling off,like de-laminated plywood!-how discouraging it is to own anything here--it rots away in a few short years.. :frown1:

-I'm starting to wonder if I am wasting my time and oxogen for the torch to cut the bed and plow frame off and save it!--scrap just went up to 90 bucks a ton yesterday at one place nearby--I'm tempted to scrap the whole 9 yards--probably not many people looking for a fisher plow setup for 87 and older trucks anymore,other than ME!-and I learned the big swap meet in Stafford Springs CT is this weekend (ALREADY :confused: )so there goes one potential place I could have set up with parts for sale...more coming in the weeks ahead though,so I have to get cracking and get this truck apart!... :crazy:

-I want to yank the flatbed and crane,400 SB and NP205 and probably junk the rest--the 14 bolt SF has a lot of rust on the axle tubes and spring pads and shock mounts..front axle has new ball joints,but leaks out of one tube(both are 4.10's)--I dont know if its worth all this effort to cut it apart--I can almost just scrap the whole dam thing and make nearly as much as hauling the motor and T-case to a swap meet,and I probably could find another whole truck AND plow for 500 bucks that runs and drives! :surepal: :screwy: Sometimes I think I'm retarted for having all this stuff to rot away in the first place! :(

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You got a plow? humm... tempting! hehee...