Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust Repair and general help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Well, i finally paid off the ole K5 so she's all mine mine mine. Now comes the fun stuff...i think. I was going to take it in to a body shop and see how much rust repair would run me. Then i got to thinking that 2k+ on rust repair would be 1/3 the cost of the blazer and that just hurts /forums/images/icons/frown.gif So i figured it was time to learn to weld.

Any recomendations as to what to look for in a welder? I don't plan on building roll cages or anything so complex. I just want to be able to fix all the rust in the K5, maybe build an occasional bumper, you know, typical use of a welder.

Also, where are the main trouble spots for rust on K5's? So far i've got rust in the following locations... seat mounts both sides, passenger side seat belt bolt, behind both rear tail lights, rockers, inner front fenders. Where else should i look for this nasty stuff? I must admit i'm a bit skeptical of my ability to do this stuff, but if you all can do it so can i right? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Look here.... <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/22742026nbhEtBOZnc>http://community.webshots.com/album/22742026nbhEtBOZnc</a> Rust will be everywhere you don't see it and then there will be more than you hope to ever see in your whole entire lifetime, But if you are willing to learn, have lots of patience and some money, you can make your truck really solid and nice like mine. I can give you help and tips on the rust repair and the welder. I just got a little Lincoln MIG welder thats 110 volt. It's perfect for sheet metal and stock metal up to 1/4" thick. Write me if you have more questions.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>