Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust repair around gas tank door

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, May 1, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a big rust hole near my gas tank door and i have some sheet metal i want to weld in to fix the hole /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i dont really want to weld around the gas tank (might go boom).

the tank is not even a year old, new gas cap, fill pipe has no holes. would it be safe to fix this?
    i don't have the time to pull the tank, but may pull the fill tube and cap the tank. what could i cap the tank with? do i even need to pull the fill pipe? need advice /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pull the fill tube. damp rag stuffed in tank. tuck either a welding blanket or wet towel around the tank. make note of fuel lines. extinguisher or garden hose, etc, etc..

you should be fine, i've seen and done much hairier stuff in body shops. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Make sure that "damp rag" isnot soaked in gasoline! LOL Good luck on your repair job, ryoken has got you fixed up. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Bryan

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

quit being a pu$$y! i cut the spring hangers off of my 82 C10, and never touched the gas tank. im still here to tell about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Did you weld last night, or was that the northern lights I saw?? /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Seriously...call me whatever, but I'd rather not take "chances". Gasoline vapors aren't something I'd exactly trust. I'd drop the tank. Probably be a good time to clean it & connections (gauge), as well as replace hoses. When in doubt, err on the side of saftey. It's not worth "finding out" if you should have dropped it.
    Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my reply was in complete sarcasm. no i did not drop my tank, and i probably should have. looking back, i got VERY lucky. just a stupid young wrench idea to cut some corners.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i just replaced the tank in janurary, so all the connection and hoses are new. i think i will through a wet blanket over the tank. its just around the door, a good 18" away from the tank /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif