Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust repair/Rock slider pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEK5, Aug 24, 2006.

1. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

There seems to be alot of posts about rust repair and rock sliders here lately so add some pics.

I had plans to replace the rockers with tubing for the past couple of years because they were getting pretty bad but would think about it only when the inspection was about to run out and ended up just welding on a quick patch here and there and getting a new sticker.After some poking around with a screwdriver it wasnt pretty!

I have the drivers side done and have started the other,I used 2x4 rec tubing and added 2 floor supports that are 2x3.The bottom of the door has been shaved 1 1/2",it is flat now.
    Once the other side is completed Im going to use a rust bullet type paint underneath and reherculine the floor.

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

2. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

nice work, I think i will be doing something similar shortly...

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Nice work. Gave me some ideas for a support under the front seat sheetmetal.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'll be saving those pics for future reference. How strong do you think the sliders are? I'm betting you can support the whole weight of the truck on those bad boys!

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Nice job! I just did mine a couple of weeks ago pretty much the same way but I think yours look a little better than mine though. Can you take a picture of the bottom of your shaved door, I would like to see what it looks like.

6. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Thanks all.

My Blazer has been down since July with this project and I miss driving the rattlely old girl!
    The sliders probably could be done in a couple of weekends but the body rot is what really bogged this project down and some burnout also.
    I am not overly proud of the way the first door came out but its solid and no ones going to see it except me and 34,000 Blazer freaks!:haha:

I laid out 2 lines one at 1 1/2 and the other at 3/4 and cut there with a cutoff wheel,this seperated the inner from the outter skin.
    I made 2 cuts under the door where it starts to curve up so you can hinge it up and take the taper out and then rolled the extra 3/4 of sheetmetal over and tack welded.There is a reinforcement bracket for the door hinges that you will have to cut part way thru bend back and reweld.

Heres a couple of pics that really dont help much.

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00005.jpg

IMG00002.jpg

IMG00007.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

man that looks really good. ive got some rust in that area as well. hmm