Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust repair

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slimlynn1, May 15, 2003.

1. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Should I buy or fabricate inner cab corners? If I should buy them where is a good place to buy them, and how well do they fit?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

A friend had some decent gauge sheet metal laying around, so we just fabbed 'em up ourselves. The carpet's over it, so no need to be too fancy.

I'd assume LMC would have them. Can anyone confirm that?

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

LMC has panels to do the whole floor from front to rear...that looks like behind the drivers seat to the wheelwell. If looks aren't a problem fabricate it as the panels aren't cheap since the go across the whole bed side to side in the front.

4. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

I had the same problem, not as bad, but had a shop that specialized in rustoration of old cars. I live in AZ now, but lived in NJ. I know rust.

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

order the part from LMC!!!
    its worth it.
    ijust replaced my floor board and actually i just finished last night. well worth it to go ahead and buy the piece, its under 100$ i believe

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

he would need the front bedpan and the drivers side floorpan rear which look to be about 160$ total. If you want a good look I'd go that route, if this is a beater I'd still tin it.

7. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Well I decided to try fabricating the panels. I welded the first two in so far. Don't laugh I am just learning to weld. Here is what I have so far.
    [​IMG]

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't laugh if you are a beginning welder those are some nice beads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I need to do on mine. What guage metal are you using so I can go pick some up when I get around to fixing it.

10. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

I'm using 18 guage. I have a brake in the basement that I borrowed from work. Now I think we need a pipe bender at work, what do you think? We already have a Millermatic 175. The next piece will be the tough one. At the bottom there is a rounded bend. A piece of 2" pipe auta make a nice radius don't ya think? I finally got some time to work on the Blazer. The wife is away for a dog show with my daughter untill Sunday. The keg in the basement will come in handy.

Later