Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust, Rust, And More Rust!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TC4x4, Oct 23, 2006.

1. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

On my lower seatbelt mount on my 84 k5 the wall there was rusted out and now i cut it out and replaced it with sheet metal. I need some good ideas and safe way to reattach my seatbelts again. Maybe i can upgrade it depending on how i mount it. I have stock seatbelats and seats. and no money so ther you go , now what, thanks yall

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hope you predrilled a hole and welded the seatbelt nut onto the back.. If not, I don't know what you can do...

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

just be a man and ride without one. who doesn't enjoy flying through the windshield in a crash, or tumbling like laundry in a dryer, during a rollover? only joking, of course.

seriously, though, maybe it's time to upgrade to a 4 or 5 point harness, as long as you have some other sturdy metal to mount to. a few pieces of angle iron mounted under the floor might spread the stress out well, and provide a solid mounting point, and it wouldn't hurt the appearance any, since it would be conclealed. i haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work. just an idea.

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Dont they reinforce the seatbelt mounts? Gotta have something stronger then just sheetmetal if you want to stay in your seat during a crash. Maybe drill a hole big enough for a nut to fit through and weld the nut to a peice of plate? Then weld the plate onto surrounding metal or something similar to that.

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

iirc, that's what GM did. look at the floor, where the seatbelt bolts to, on the underside of the cab.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The sidewall one is a large, nut/flange assembly welded to the back of that section he replaced.. No actual backing plate, as that sidewall is probably 16 gauge...

His only option at this point is probably moving it down to the floor and putting a nice backing plate under the floor...

7. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

I had the same issue

I tore my seatbelt out on the trail and it left about a softball size hole on that side panel - just look for a solid spot on the floor throw some metal plating on the underside and drill a hole also use a heavy duty nut, bolt & washer.

Attached Files: