Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RUST RUST RUST!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COLLISION, Jun 13, 2002.

1. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Most on this forum probably know how it works.Remove one panel to repair some rust and find more.Remove that panel and hey, more rust. get that panel off and guess what??. More rust /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . Well I think I've removed as much as is possible without starting from a pile of sheet metal and building a new truck.Now comes the fun part. Repair the floor, replace inner and outer lt and rt rockers, lt and rt floor extensions, rear cab to rear floor extension, rear cab supports, rear floor repair, custom tailpan,and tailgate. All the pictures to this point are listed below. will update them after the weekend.Hopefully by then there will be some parts already welded on. I'm going to make this repair last because I never want to go this deep on one of my own vehicles again, espescially not a daily driver. The only good thing about it is it is an awsome vehicle, and to replace it with one of todays grocery chasing SUV's is not even an option.They just don't build them like this anymore, and thats really sad.

2. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

man that sounds just like my situation!!

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

Awesome pics, looks almost like i am going to do, but everything is rusty! I can do everything myself, except fabbing up panels that are not available. I have never done a fab job before, or any body work so it shall be one heck of an experience. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Since it's a keeper, have you thought about getting it nickel coated?

Acid dipped?

I bought a '71 cab that was acid dipped and nickel coated. It ran ~$1400.00, after everything was stripped.

The trick is finding someone who can do it!

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I did the front end six years ago and used an aluminized wax oil, when i took it apart three weeks ago there was not a single area that had rusted. the nickel coating is too expensive and the nearest place that could do it is too far away anyway. I think with the back end I'll POR15 it and use the same wax oil as before. The inner rockers will have 2" hole drilled every 8" so I can get in there every summer and rinse and respray the oil. I think most of the rust problems were caused by poor ventilation and drainage, I'll just redesign it the way it should of been built in the first place.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Aluminized Wax Oil??? Interesting. I haven't heard of this before. Where does one find this?

TIA
    TO

7. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I got about a gallon of it from a friend who works for Western Star Trucks, it was a new product that they started using a while back due to early rust appearing on the cabs.Apparently it works on the principal of sacrificial corrosion, the aluminum in it oxidises before the steel does.I'll let you know where to get it as soon as I talk to our Dupont rep.

8. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You are my hero. that's all i have to say. May rust run and hide when it sees you coming. Keep up the awesome work!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color="blue">Rust=Bad</font color>

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Remove one panel to repair some rust and find more.Remove that panel and hey, more rust. get that panel off and guess what??. More rust <font color="blue"> </font color>

If I just ignore the first rusty panel, the rest aren't really there, right? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">They're all mint until you pull the carpet /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . I got lucky with my 89, I took the carpet up and the tailpan and corners where the seatbelts bolt to still have the factory paint on them with no rust! Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Check out the floor removal article in the tech section. I have seen that truck in real life a few times, and it looks better than new!

11. NastyGMC

NastyGMC Registered Member

Rust rust rust.. Gotta love it. I hate to admit it, but i have a fair share on my 85. I'm ordering a cab visor, new tires, and new shocks, and the rest of my money is going to all new fenders, doors, rockers, fenderwells, and powdercoating the whole undercarraige this winter. I sure hope that mine isn't as deep as yours, but i will soon find out!
    Good luck! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif