Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rust suck's!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmud?, Aug 22, 2002.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

rust suck\'s!

just how rust free are vehicles(mid 80's or older) out west R-E-A-L-Y? thinking about selling my 86 flying out west and driving one back, I love my truck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but by the time you replace all the rotted out part's you will have a fortune invested in just body work /forums/images/icons/mad.gifso just how clean are they out there? think I could get a pretty nice one for 6K or less?I have family in AZ. so I'm thinking somthing from AZ.maybe. That way I could spend a couple of day's checking out whatever I buy before driving it 2K mile's home. GRIM: meant to post this in non-4x4 feel free to move if you like.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: rust suck\'s!

I bought an 82 Blazer from Austin Texas last year. I crawled underneath and it looked like it had just rolled off the assembly line yesterday.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif That truck had absolutely zero rust anywhere!

AZ, NM, TX and S. Cali are great places to find absolutely rust free trucks.

Rene

3. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

My buddy just went to Arizona and said he saw a truck just like my 74 and it was all original, not a spec of rust on it, and it had never been restored. He said they were everywhere! So I'm sure they're out there.
    Here's something I've seen a lot of guys doing, After repairing the underside of all rust. They get it undercoated with spray on bed liner material. A friend of mine did that 4 years ago and hasn't had a spec of rust return.

P.S. I live in New England where they salt and sand the streets.

4. Monster

Monster Registered Member

I live in New Jersey and a man from Az moved up here and had a 86 K5 which I bought off him. It had no rust what so ever.I lucked out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you can find them in nj without rust.. I bought a 1982 chevy diesel pickup and the only rust I have is behind the rear wheel well and it is a tiny spot.. look at my pics.. I dented up the drivers side door though and new ones are only $75... so there is my $58... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Timmer_71

Timmer_71 Registered Member

I live in Michigan also and I just bought a '78 Blazer that just came up from either north or south carolina ( I forget which one ) and I can not believe the shape it is in. There are a couple of little spots of surface rust underneith the hood and underneith the truck but that is it! I wish my '91 toyota was in half as good of shape.
    My blazer will probably never see a Michigan winter as long as I own it, those older vehicles did not use the same sheet metal as newer vehicles do today. I am not sure exactly when they switched but I think they use some kind of galvanized sheet metal these days. I'll bet It would take about 3 years for my blazer to turn into a rusted out piece of crap if I drove it during the winter. Salt on the roads sucks.So I would say go for it, Fly down there and pick something up. They don't know how good they have it down south of the snow belt.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I bought an AZ truck 3 years ago and there was like zero rust anywhere. The paint was fried and cracked and there still wasn't any rust where stuff was exposed. That 0.01% humidity is awfully kind to old iron. Since I drive it year-round in Michigan, I had all the paint fixed and healthy undercoating done. Now after 3 winters here where they salt the roads like McDonald's does their fries at any hint of snow, I am getting my first bits of rust in front of the tailgate and inside the rockers. But that's about the same thing that would have happened if I had bought it new in 1984 and drove it the same way.

It's a lot better to get a body that's never had rust, then to "fix" the rust on a body that's already seen some corrosion. Maybe it's just me, but I also hate any rust on the frame, axles and everything else underneath.

It's also got to be easier and cheaper to sell a truck and buy a new one that bolt on new body parts and paint, etc. It's also easy enough to swap over a lift, tires, etc. that you have on the old truck.