Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Element, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

About time to start ordering replacement body parts for the truck, so I can have everything welded in and cleaned up before it gets wet and muddy out. I don't have a whole lot of experience with rust, and I'm not 100% sure of what body panels I need to order for this stuff to be fixed. This is the driver's side area right behind the seat (I guess what would be the cab corners of a pickup). Passenger side is similar, but the hole in front of the tire is larger.

Whoever owned it before me took some cheap sheet metal and self-tapping screws and just covered everything up. No silicone, no nothing to keep water from getting in through the holes :eek1: Probably could have planted a garden in the dirt under the floor padding. :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, just from browsing on LMC and Year One, it looks like I'll need both floorpans, new cab corners, and probably the pillar panels? The body supports themselves look ok, as does the support "beam" that runs across the floor at the front of the cargo area. The rockers also seem to be in pretty good shape, bit of rust right at the back of the door, but it looks like something that could be patched with a small piece of metal and some welding.

Does it look like it's going to take some serious work to get everything patched up, or will it be a routine sort of thing? Never had to have a car go in for rust repair, so I'm not too sure of the severity of my truck, but it doesn't seem quite as bad as some of the trucks here that've been brought back from the dead. Also, what sort of quote should I expect from a body shop as far as repairing it? I know that's dependant on area, but is this likely to be a $300 job (plus the new panels), or much more expensive?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

For a body shop to do that, well over $300. Probably at least double.

Your going to need cab corners, floor pan panels, rocker panels, the "footwell" panels, and probably the floor supports.

THat's some pretty nasty rust there, but it is fixable.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup... I'm not gonna get extensive here, but expect a fair amount of labor to do a decent job with that.. It will come back if you hack it... that really needs to be trimmed back, some blasting, etc... gonna be a more extensive then you may think cleaning up the surrounding areas.. it's gonna be way worse than you think... expect that front lip of the wheelwell to be hammered...

panels, I'll tell ya right now, your not gonna be able to get everything you need.. SOME fabricating WILL be necessary... bottom of the b-pillars, prolly the exterior channel piece behind that one hole.. your also gonna want to buy or have to fab up, the front section of the cargo floor in front of the wheelwell...

and i'll bet bottom dollar that your tailpan area (where the tailgate bolts to) is hammered too...

make sure you douche EVERYTHING with weld-thru primer once clean....

thats worse than mine, and I'm gonna do an ENTIRE new custom floor when I get some time off...