Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Sep 21, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm in the process of doing some body work to my truck and would like to know if I can just cut off the rockers and cut the fenders level with the bottom of the door? What problems would this present? I don't hardcore wheel by the way.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I know some of you have cut your rockers b4! I just want to know if I cut them and don't protect them with something will it be ok?

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You can cut all that off but you have to replace the rockers with something. most people use tube, 3 x 3 usually, and span it wheel well to wheel well. You can't just leave it without support.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can cut all that off but you have to replace the rockers with something. most people use tube, 3 x 3 usually, and span it wheel well to wheel well. You can't just leave it without support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can...I did. The rockers really don't do much except hang up on rocks. I cut off my rockers right up to the door weatherstripping lip. It leaves the bottom of the door exposed but I am gonna herc it anyway so it really doesn't matter. here is where I first decided to trim my rockers. And this is what it looks like after I decided to completly remove the doorsill. If you look in a few of my albums you will see more of the peocess. Right now the bottom of my body line runs even with the bottom of my door. I will have a slider running right under the door where the sill was and connected to the frame.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will have a slider running right under the door where the sill was and connected to the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yea. Isn't that what I said? You have to have something under that cut out rocker for support. Like a tube slider.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

the slider is not connected to the cab in any way. It comes right off the frame and will sit under where the doorsill would be. You are thinking of a rocker box which replaces the rocker with box steel. The problem I see with this solution is that if you set a rocker box onto a rock it puts upward force on the body mounts which were not designed for that. In mounting the slider directly to the frame the force is placed on the frame and with proper gussetting will cause no damage.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the slider is not connected to the cab in any way. It comes right off the frame and will sit under where the doorsill would be. You are thinking of a rocker box which replaces the rocker with box steel. The problem I see with this solution is that if you set a rocker box onto a rock it puts upward force on the body mounts which were not designed for that. In mounting the slider directly to the frame the force is placed on the frame and with proper gussetting will cause no damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense! I think I'm just gonna cut the SOB off! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif