Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusted Bedsides

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79silverado, Nov 15, 2004.

1. 79silverado

79silverado Registered Member

Ok, looking a a couple options right now.... Number 1 question to replace or not to replace

Here's the sutiation: its an 8' bed, dual tank, with rust through over top of wheel arc and mostly surface rust along the bottom of the length. Bed floor is basically perfect, tonneau & bed mat probably has alot to do with that

Option 1: /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif wheelwell area (about 2-3" tall), POR15 it, and find some decent low profile/non-agressive flares that'll look good with the smaller 235/75/15 series tires. Suggestions on flares appreciated. Then /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gifand /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif the bottom near the ground and paint with some of that thick non-chip coating stuff they have.

Option 2: A used replacement of the bedsides..... cost = /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif and dont wanna go there esp considering it'll prolly rust itself shortly.... Unless its an 8' stepside box /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Option 3: Looking at new (read aftermarket) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif bedsides which everyone carries, question how good are they, and how will they fit on with the rest of my GM bed floor/head board/tailgate etc. Has anyone done the swap that might have some input on this as far as fit/finish of panels used? I've heard that supposedly veng isnt too bad but I want to make sure all the holes to bolt these new bedsides on are gonna line up, and I'm not gonna have more prep time into the new parts than dismanteling and redoing the original parts .....

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Try Texas Rustfree parts, they have used boxes very reasonable. Can't seem to find their website address.

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Where are you in RI? I helped a friend do this. He got his bedsides from RC Truck Sales in Brockton/West Bridgewater. It was amazing at how well they fit. I figured it would suck real hard but it was pretty painless with the right tools.

-Chris

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    right tools

[/ QUOTE ]

What tools are required?

5. 79silverado

79silverado Registered Member

Cool, I may need to check them out. I'm down in Kingston area, but still in the process of moving outta the old house in the berkshire area. Picked up this truck on the way down here one weekend as a better project than bringing along what I had. I've got a massive craftsman tool set which is all I should need as far as I know, everything is bolted together with seam sealer at the joints on the bed as far as I could tell. Some long extensions for access and I should be good to go I think.