Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusted floor around seat mounts; how to fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 9, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am going to be fixing my truks minor rust problems in the near future...I have 2 fairly good sized (~2.5" or so)rust holes in the drivers and passenger rear cab corners...I was just going to cut out the rusted area and MIG weld in a new panel in the corners. I also have some rust that has weakend the meatal enough that it has cracked around a couple seat mounts...

First, How are the seat mounts held onto the floor? What is the best way to replace the rusted sections around the seat mounts? Is there a good way to reinforce the seat-mount area? I am just sick of the floor flexing enough that the seats rock back and forth...

Thanks in advance...

Chris

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have a gaping crack where my driver seat bolts in... as far as i know... cut the section of floor out and weld in a new piece.. either that or get two peices of scrap metal and put it on either side of the floor and reinforce it...kinda sandwiching it.
    I plan on fixing mine sometime soon... if you get yours done, let me know how it goes. Thanks!

3. beachinblazer

beachinblazer Registered Member

my friend's neighbor and i tackled that same situation. we just got some 1/8th " steel plate about 3 inches wide by 20" long and welded it to the floor panel after using a bottle jack to life up the major cracked pieces. rides too firm now, but its better than scraping my butt on the ground