Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusted out bed rails... What options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_clean, Mar 15, 2004.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Hi all, I aquired a 73' Jimmy about 6 months ago and have found a wealth of information here, but I now have a question that I can't find an answer to in the existing posts... After sanding down about a 1/4 inch of bondo off the bed rails I found the first real rust problem. I have the LMC catalog but they don't seem to make replacement panels for that area. Does anyone know of any company who does, or should I look for a donor vehicle, or maybe just Picklex it and hope for the best???

Thanks in advance!

Scott

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welcome to CK5.

Going to the junkyard and buying a junk pickup bed would most likely be a good start.

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

That is where I was afraid I was headed...
    I have found some complete quarter panels for sale but thats gonna run $600 plus ride...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Junk bed is probably much cheaper than that option, but more work of course.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Just put the Bondo back on! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

When one doesnt know how to do something it always seems like a huge challenge
    BUT
    if you weld or have someone who can for you, this task of replacing them is no big deal..
    1) draw a nice level line just under the old rail,cut off the old rails, I use a plasma but even a cutoff wheel will work
    2) Decide what you want the new rail to be made of, channel, tube (I like tube for strength) , cut it to fit , weld it back in, use a welding wire like "easy grind" ..I use .023 for bodywork... or if you have a friend good at tig thats an even easier way to go...
    3) paint it and redrill your top holes....
    forget about it forever
    cam

7. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the tips!!!
    and believe me, I am very tempted to just put the Bondo back on, but the whole reason I sanded through was to paint the rig and I don't want rust eating through the paint in a few months. I think I am going to cut and weld. Worst case I have to replace the whole panel anyway so I don't lose anything by trying that.

Thanks agian all, this forum is a huge help!!!!!

Scott