Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rusted rear end. how would i fix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Mar 17, 2003.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

i know that the k5s tail gate is knowen to rust, but on mine the part where the hinges are bolted to the florr boards and a part of the frame are also rusted badly, it is fairley contained and most the area around it is fairley solid, it is mainly just about the first 4-6 inches of the rear of the truck back form the tail gate. Has anyone replaced that and if so can i have as many tips and instructions as possible. and if you even have pics that would help a lot, thanks, john

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea the really nasty spot...probobly need a new tailpan..thats the peice that holds the rear quaters up...i hear its a b*tch to do..

3. dodgetruck91

hmm, sounds like it wont be cheap either. what i think ill just have to do is custom make it all, like i said its all mainly the floor part, and just the few inches up by the gate, if all else fails, just weld some sturdy andle iron under the rear most part of it and re sheet metal form there back. I think that would be my easiest/ cheapest route. any other ideas would be greatley appriciated.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Might as well take the time and do the whole rear in one shot.
    Here are the first 2 articles I did, as soon as I can get my act together I will finish the third article. Good luck.
    Phase 1
    Phase 2

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

My rear end has a crack and hail damage. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. dodgetruck91

I think that last one is exactly what i need, basically its just replacing thoes peices of metal that it shows, and fomr theres its sheet metal for the floor. thank u all for ur help. anyone else got any more suggestions it would be great.