Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusting Away.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneLeft, Aug 17, 2001.

1. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

My 89 Blazer came from the Great Lakes area. Just last winter I noticed it has developed a quite large rust hole into the cab. Does anyone have advise on where to find good replacement tub parts? The fenders, doors and most everything else are rusty as well, so I have a feeling this will be a lot worse than I want to even think about. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

check with LMC, they have a lot of replacement body parts. my k5 is the same way on the underside, thinking if its worth trying to save or just buy another one and switch everything over.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

I keep thinking the same thing. But lack of funding is a bigger problem than the rusting of my 89.

4. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

If your looking for cheap floor panels just go to the junkyard and pick up a few chevy truck hoods. Use a sawzall to cut the flat metal away from all of the bracing and you will have some good sized patch panels. Cut all of the rust out of the floors and cut and bend the patches to fit. Your gonna need a mig welder to weld them in. Get some POR-15 and coat everything when your done. This is how I did mine and it turned out sweet. As for the fenders and doors, fenders can be had new (off shore brand) for about $70. There should be some clean doors in CO junkyards.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

5. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

I never thought of doing hoods for floors, but thats a great idea! Thanks!

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Easier again; I've got a local sheet metal shop making me up new floors with thicker than stock sheetmetal & they'll pre-bend it to be ribbed like the stock floor. Only costing me $160 for a complete rear floor. Might try a local shop in your area
    Could save you a pile of work

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

7. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

Thats sweet! Does anyone know of a place that would do that here in Colorado? Or how much shipping on a complete floor panel would be?

Hey Brian, can you shoot me over the contact info on that shop?

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Randall

I'd happily shoot the contact info over to you but I don't think you'll be overly interested!!! [​IMG] Check my profile....I'm from Newfoundland, Canada! By the time you pay shipping costs for something like that; it might be cheaper to have GM tool up the factory & build a new floor for you!! LOL! [​IMG][​IMG]
    Maybe someone in your area can refer you to a decent metal shop.

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

9. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

Your right, shipping would prolly cost an arm and a leg, and well, I cant afford it! LOL!

10. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

heres what you do if you want really good GM replacement panels. GO to your local GM dealer, have them print out the schematic that shows all the factory body panels. THen get the part numbers and prices for all that you want/need. THen say thank you, and leave there not buying anything. Then get home, log online, go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmpartsdirect.com>www.gmpartsdirect.com</a> plug in your part numbers, find the GM part you need for almost half off the dealer price. Thats what I did with the whole rear floor and tailpan section that I'm replacing as I write this. I bought it for 330ish when the dealer wanted 550. Just an idea, it is more money that aftermarket, but you can't beat the way GM factory stuff fits and is made.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>