Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rustoleum Hammered

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Apr 11, 2005.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

If anyone wants to paint steel tubing this is the stuff to use. I've been painting all of the tubing on the "hooptee" and it's come out pretty clean. The finish almost looks powdercoated (besides the runs from my crappy paint skills). I'd definitely give it a thumbs up.

2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I've used this stuff too and also recommend it. I really like the finish. The only downside is it takes 10x longer to dry than regular spray paint. But I think I'm just impatient...

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I find that it dries pretty fast (well, dry enough to touch). It takes about half an hour to dry so it's handle-able. Takes about a week to be fully cured.

It isn't nearly as slow as Rustoleum where it takes like 6 hours before it's handle-able. But it isn't fast like Krylon which is dry in like 15 minutes.

It's definitely the most durable paint I've used. It takes the abuse of having **** dropped on it pretty well. As it gets older it takes scuffing better as well.

Wal-mart has it for $4.77/can now. It used to be $4.17... a buck more than a can of regular Rustoleum and a buck-fiddy more than Krylon. It's not quite such a bargain anymore.

Pretty much everything I've pained black is that stuff. I think I'm on rattle can #9 now. Took me a can to do the inside of the doors and I like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just did my extra wheels in that stuff, looks good. I'm glad to hear it's durable too, should have the new tires on in a week or so. Doing the cage in it hopefully next weekend.

I was thinking about sanding the hell out of the chrome bumpers after I cut them a little, any thoughts on this stuff sticking to a formerly chrome bumper?

I was gonna do spray on liner for the lower part of the body panels but I'm leaning towards this same Black "Hammered" stuff for that too now.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Painted my 14 with it. Great stuff, really like how it turned out.

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I did my Ag Hitch with it and its holding up great, especailly for getting pelted with rocks everytime I go down a gravel road

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did the metal inserts on my door panels with the black hammered paint. Looks good. The hammered texture hides a lot of imperfections too. I plan on painting more with the Black Hammertone. I'll probably end up painting the metal sections of the dash with it too. Lowes has a decent price on the stuff too, but I can't remember what it was. (I'm still on my first can!)

8. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

to paint your chrome bumpers, sand with 150 or 180 grit, then clean them REALLY GOOD with a pre cleaner from an autobody supply house. then prime it with a good high quality primer. let it set and cure for a week or so, to insure that it is as dry as it can get. then wet sand it with 400 grit. if it is going to not stick, it should flake now. if it does, start over.