Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rustoleum rust reformer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone used this stuff in the spray can? I know it can't be as durable as POR-15 or Rust Bullet, but being able to spray it is a huge plus. If it's decent, I'd consider hosing it all over the underbody and frame to maybe stop the rust and then hit it with regular spray paint. POR-15 is torture to paint with while laying on your back under a vehicle - gets on you, is permanent if it gets on the ground, etc. Plus it doesn't seem good to glue bolts down with it - but I've got no problem spray painting over all my bolt heads/threads, brake lines, etc...

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the stuff, I'd be real curious to hear.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

it helps,but...

I've used them all--Morton's "Rust-Mort",Permatex-Duro "Extend"."Neutra Rust", "Rust Reformer"--all basically the same thing--the "Rust Mort" is a liquid,can be sprayed in a paint gun--its Phosphoric acid basically..the others are a milky looking latex based stuff that turns clear and the rust into black primer looking stuff that retards further rusting--.

ALL of them need to be topcoated with another paint...they are temporary at best..it will slow down the spread of rust,but not stop it entirely!..I think POR-15 is worth the hasssle,though even that sometimes does not hold up well under lots of salt and sun exposure where I live..I think its kind of expensive--black gloss rustoleum or a good polyureathene auto paint seems to do just as good for me..haven't tried "Rust Bullet" yet, it might be better,or the same as POR-15 --I think drain oil sprayed on the chassis works best around here--especially if you use oil drained from a diesel with lots of soot in it--seems to stay on longer.. :crazy:

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I have used the stuff out of Eastwood catalog. Brush on and in spray can's. Just take off loose rust with wire wheel/brush and apply. Has stood up for 3 years so far. Have also used stuff called "Zero-Rust" comes in cans, or in gallon for spray guns. It works pretty good. A couple buddy's of mine painted the'r cars (65 El Camino, 58 Plymouth) with the stuff. Comes in basic colors...red, blue, yellow, green, white, and black. Has a satin finish. Works pretty good.

4. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like the brush on stuff. I would think that the spray would create to many fumes.

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Rust Bullet can be applied with a paint gun. But I'd buy a cheapo just for the Rust Bullet. Although, that stuff is so expensive I wouldnt even want to waste the overspray! I've heard that Rust Bullet is some pretty awesome stuff. Only drawback is it's silver...

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

RB and POR-15 fumes are deadly. You'd need a respirator and a full suit because the atomized stuff would glue itself to any exposed skin.

7. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Definitely need a respirator. I had a buddy spray on his Rust Bullet. He just wore gloves and long sleeves.