Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rustproofing leaf hangers ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Nov 18, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is there any possible way to rustproof leaf hangers ? they really pileup mud anf junk and stay wet all thwe time all year round, mine i just scraped and washed because were full of mud

i dont like that, they will eventually rot and break, but what c an you do about it in the midwest and etc where salt rain high humidity is at 90% of the year ?

would really hate having to remove themand have them hot tanked or soemthing and bake them, that would be big project with frozen hardware and rivets and so forth. but would be something that could be done if are replacing leaves and/or bushings,

what has anyone done, or does no one worry too much about frame bracketry rot ?

thanks

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'd clean them up real good, drill a little hole in the bottom for a drain. Then get some of the black rust cap paint and give it a coat of that every few hours on a warm day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I soaked mine pretty good when I had the springs off doing the lift.
    Or you could just piss off the eco-nazi's and soak them down with oil and grease /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

por15 works very well i sandblasted my whole frame and brushed it on it flows out nicely! the company claims you can paint it over rust and it works as good or better than sandblasting the surface it leaves is similar to a powdercoated surface almost plastic i have had painted areas under my truck show slight rusting but the frame looks like the day i painted it!just get the area clean with a wire wheel or other? and use the metalprep type product they sell! as far as how much to buy? i painted entire frame inside and out all crossmembers 2 coats as heavy as i could put it on and i only went through 1/2 gallon lol /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

A) Move
    B) Homemade shackle flip (drainage)
    C) Herculiner or that rubberized undercoating spray paint **what I'd do**
    D) Epoxy spray paint??

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

POR-15 is the best way to rust proof anything metal in the midwest /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have heard alot of ppl who have had bad luck with POR15

what did they do wrong ?

thanks

7. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

maybe not enough prep? i personally would not paint it over rust. sandblasting is best but a wire wheel on a 4inch grinder would do and clean with either ppg metal prep or the stuff por15 sells my local paint store sells por15 you can buy it in small quantities if you want to do your own test the only problem i had with it is around the battery tray the acid lifted it also do not get it on your skin you have to wear it off! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

POR15

Poor prep. Use all of their products and follow the directions to a "T" and it will last forever. I use it all the time and love it.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Por-15 is ALMOST bulletproof. However, it is not very forgiving of not following the prep instructions. I recommend cleaning up as mich rust as possible w/ wire brush but leave the metal rough. It likes to have something to grab onto.

Spray the area w/ the phosphoric prep (you can buy this @ Home Depot) and top coat w/ Por-15. I would go w/ 2 coats on the hangars.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A) Move

[/ QUOTE ]
    why didn't I think of that...
    make a set out of Stainless Steel /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Beat on them with a hammer to get the flakes off, chisel on them to get the rest of the flakes off, wire brush what you can reach, sandblast them, and then pour thinner on it and let it dry. Paint it with either Herculiner through a sandblasting gun or use Plasti-kote aerosol bedliner. I used Plasti-kote and they aren't rusting yet.

I tried that POR stuff and even plain-jane Rustoleum but they both chipped off because of the sandblasting stuff receives on U.P. roads. The POR held up pretty well considering but it's WAY too expensive.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A) Move

[/ QUOTE ]
    why didn't I think of that...
    make a set out of Stainless Steel /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah,,, relocating to south and/or west would be number one solution, but still dont have an opportunity to do so yet, so,, hmm.. i wish though.. i really super hate being here so bad..

POR15, hmmm.. good option, but out of my pricerange and ability for now,, too cold and mesy out now til next time soem year to do anything like this now, hope truck doesnt rust away too much over the winter..

thanks