Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusty 14 bff gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by avgas, Jul 10, 2004.

1. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

ok I cracked open my free 14bff, it appears that I'm running into quite of bit of unexpected problems/ expenses.
    mostly just brake stuff, like the drums are shot, all brake hardware and wheel cylinders are toast(This was expected)

But my problem is the actual ring gear has some rust on the gear surfaces where the gear was exposed to the air for years(the side the was in lube is fine of course). This is causing a slight amount of binding when the pinion meets those rusty gears. The rust isn't all that bad I think postly just surface rust with maybe some pitting underneath. What would you guys think of hitting each of those rusty teeth with some emery cloth/sandpaper? Do you think that would free them up enough to wear properly. I'd like to finish the work that needs to be done on this axle so maybe I can get it in next weekend.

thanks
    -jake

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Rusty 14 bff gears *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's just light surface rust, then I'd try the emery cloth cleanup routine. But be alert to any strange sounds or rumbling from the rear end for the first 10,000 miles or so of operation. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If it works, then you saved a bunch of money. If it doesn't work, then the gears needed to be replaced anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
    No need to spend the money if a cheap fix might work.
    I have done it before successfully.
    I sprayed it with liquid wrench and scraped off the rust after it loosesned up then I used steel wool.
    That way I didn't remove any metal but cleared up the surface.
    If you use emery cloth it might shave some of the metal and you will have some wear and noise.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I cleaned up the teeth in my 14b s/f. The pitting was pretty minor, not accounting for much surface area in the contact region. It has worked fine for years. Make sure you don't remove any material except rust.

5. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I have some brake stuff should you need it.

drums wheel cylinders backing plates etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Driving should polish them up. Change diff oil after a while.

7. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

really? how much do you want for it?