Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusty 14bff gears

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by avgas, Jul 10, 2004.

1. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

This post is also in the garage but there's so much noise up there I fear I won't get a timely response, so anyone local have any ideas?

>>>>
    ok I cracked open my free 14bff, it appears that I'm running into quite of bit of unexpected problems/ expenses.
    mostly just brake stuff, like the drums are shot, all brake hardware and wheel cylinders are toast(This was expected)

But my problem is the actual ring gear has some rust on the gear surfaces where the gear was exposed to the air for years(the side the was in lube is fine of course). This is causing a slight amount of binding when the pinion meets those rusty gears. The rust isn't all that bad I think postly just surface rust with maybe some pitting underneath. What would you guys think of hitting each of those rusty teeth with some emery cloth/sandpaper? Do you think that would free them up enough to wear properly. I'd like to finish the work that needs to be done on this axle so maybe I can get it in next weekend.

thanks
    -jake

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Worst case is your will be replacing the gears right? So I'd say try it and check it after 500 miles. If it works you have good gears for free, if not you will have to replace them.

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I think you could probably hit them with some Brakleen too. I don't think that would mess anything up. I'm sure someone will correct me if it will. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ya man just clean them up as best as u can....you will get a few hundred miles at the least on them before they go poopy anyways...if they are gonna... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Super, thanks guys. It's always tough working on $hit by myself and not having a little input. I'm one of those do it right the first time or don't do it at all kind of people. My blazer is a reflection of that, everything I've done work on is really tight using all the good [darn], but everything that hasn't given me trouble so far I haven't really given a [darn] about, so basically I've got a POS blazer with some really nice parts on it.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If the gears are rusted what do the bearings look like? I would NOT run this axle with fear of spining a bearing as a result of corrosion. At least check the bearings if your going to chance running it....

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so basically I've got a POS blazer with some really nice parts on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, isn't that all of our Blazers? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

The gears in my old 14bolt had rust on them, I cleaned it off and ran it for 2 yrs w/o a problem, then sold it and it is still on the road... no worries... just run if for a bit and then change the gear oil to get the crap out.