Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rusty cylinder walls...engine builders???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3car, Aug 18, 2003.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

ok,heres the deal.there was this guy.he built a motor for his truck,and then wrecked the truck with 3000 miles on the new motor.he sold the motor to a friend,who didnt have any way to get it out of the wrecked truck,except to pull off the heads and lift it out manually.the motor was then stored in a shed for some time(without heads),and some light surface rust has developed on the cylinder walls.what can i do?i dont think its bad enough to need honing.will it be ok to oil up the cylinders,and spin the motor over by hand,and let the rings do the work?any suggestions?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is only light rust I would spray WD40 in the cylinders then wipe them out and oil the cylinders and turn it over and look for any deep rust spots.

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

ttt

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

you could always use a scouring pad(like for dishes). It wont take any metal off and should take off the surface rust.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd also keep a vacuum running and hold it in the cylinder while scrubbing it, that way the junk won't just land on the pistons and have the slightest chance of getting caught in the rings. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif