Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusty F@#king Bolts!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikeperez22, Jul 25, 2004.

1. mikeperez22

mikeperez22 Registered Member

Can someone please give me some advice on removing the bolts from my leafspring shackles. I have tried liquid wrench and beating the crap out of them with a hammer. That didn't work. The inside of the frame doesn't leave a whole lot of room to hit the bolts with a hammer. This is on a first gen. Any ideas?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Air impact or a long breaker bar

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I used PB Blaster on all my bolts prior to doing my lift. Spray liberally on the bolt and nut. Let it sit as long as 30 minutes. PB Blaster eats though rust. You can get it at most auto stores /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've got the nuts off, but you can't get the bolts out. I had the same problem...they were severely rusted to the sleeves. Only solution for me was to torch them out. A sawzall will hardly mar those sleeves, but a cutoff wheel on a grinder might, if you don't have access to a torch.

5. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Hot wrench. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I use my lil Milwaukie grinder with a cut off wheel.
    slice the bolts off and press the whole mess out.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

The sawzall is useless for this task. Get out the 'ol angle grinder with a cut off wheel (or die grinder, same thing) Cut the bolt on both ends and yank out the shackle/spring. Drill the rubber bushing out and knock out the inner sleeve, then cut the outer sleeve with the sawzall. Knock that out with a hammer/ air chissel. It's a lovely job all in all. ENJOY /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I haven't found something PB Blaster doesn't loosen.

Except legs.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

big 1/2" socket ratchet with a 4' piece o pipe slipped over the handle. Push as hard as you can. The thing will either turn, or snap the head off the bolt... either way, its off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

before I even got a grinder, thats how I got old crap off. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Plasma cutter!

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have gotten some that were rusted to the sleeve out this way--remove the nut from the bolt,cut or grind the head off the bolt,put several washers under the nut,and tighten it,you may need a breaker bar and a cheater pipe,many times the impact wont budge it,cause the rubber in the bushing absorbs all the tourque--after you tighten the bolt,remove the nut and add some more washers and tighten it again--this should pull the bolt right through the sleeve,and once its started you can push it out with a hammer and punch.
    Some trucks have the nut facing the frame,so there isnt any room for the bolt to be removed this way,in that case I just took the whole hanger off the frame by removing the rivets,took the whole mess to a shop with a press and removed the bolts,and bolted the hangar back on with grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts.I think the next time I need to change springs thats how I will do it,if the bolts prove to be stubborn,havent had one come out easy in all my experience here in the norhteast. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    big 1/2" socket ratchet with a 4' piece o pipe slipped over the handle. Push as hard as you can. The thing will either turn, or snap the head off the bolt... either way, its off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This only works if it lets you pull one of the shackles off. With the shackles in place, getting rid of the nut and the head still leaves the sleeve and bolt stuck inside the bushing. In these cases, you have little choice but to cut the sleeve and bolt inside the shackle.

Plus, sometimes the whole sleeve will turn inside the bushing. You just can't free the bolt from the sleeve.

BTW: The smoke from poly bushings is nasty. Melted polyurethane can also give you nice burns. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh rust. Just went through this myself.
    Grinder /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

15. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I don't want to brag, but I just put my springs in my 85 without a single problem. I PB blaster'd everything a couple of days before, fired up the zap wrench to 100 psi and zap zap. They all came out.

If the bushings are the problem any form heat source will help a lot. Even if it is just a propane torch.

-Chris