Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusty floor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hey all. Ripped the carpeting out of my truck today; lo and behold I had rust hiding underneath the carpet. The rust on the passenger side looks near some sort of floor-to-frame attachment point. Alas I don't know how to weld so I'm gonna have to have someone else fix it. If I have some sheet metal welded over the holes will that be allright, or will it continue to spread?

2. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You could get the panels for the floor from lmc or jc whitney and then have the local welder put them in for ya take a look at the articale that was last months feature on the project uav blazer and that should help you and show you how much work you could do yourself just my 2 cents for ya ( I did my floor in front of the seats in the corner below the brake and then on the passenger side to and It wasnet that hard I too had not welded before and It wasn't that hard to get ) or you could just put a rust killer on it and fiberglass over it but that IMO cant always kill the rust.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I cant find my lmc catalog but the jc whitney has the panels that are split right down the middle and they will replace the whole floor the item #'s are 07SY6912T FOR THE DR SIDE AND 07SY6912A FOR THE PASS SIDE and they are 74.95 a piece you can see the parts at there web site and put in those part numbers hope that it helps

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I don't want to make it any worse, but mine was rusted out at the mounts as well. i bought a new floor from gm for around $430 bucks. took about three months and tore the sucker apart and replaced much more than i originally thought would need to be done. its amazing how far rust will spread. if you just want to get it back on the road sheet metal would do but it looks like your in for a major project to do it right. oh and once i was done the truck drove rock solid and didnt make all the noise it used to. good luck.

craig

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.plymouthscreenprinting.com>www.plymouthscreenprinting.com</a>

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the rusty floor club!!!! Hope you enjoy the ride. Your floor looks brand new compared to what mine did. If you talk to me, RIZ, BOSS, Yunit, and others that have done this swap you'll find plenty of support. Check out my pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a> you'll see what I started with and what I ended up with. I've never welded before, never done anything like this before and I was only 17 at the time. so if you got time, space, tools, and lots of patience, you'll be all set. What I had to do may be a little extreme for what your truck looks like but ya never know. Good luck!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=BAD!!!</font color=blue>

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This is truly a good lesson for everyone with carpet that they have never looked under. Pull that poop and do something about rust before you have BIG HOLES in your body. I had just some surface rust in mine (thank gawd!)...it was no problem, just sanded the heck out of the rust, and herculined the whole interior. Rust problem solved. Even if it does rear its ugle head again, some how, with no carpet down, I'll SEE it becoming a problem and can act before its too bad. Just words to the wise, especially those of us that plan on keeping their rigs forever! ;)

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

9. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll check out the catalogs and order some floors. I really have to buy myself a welder and learn to weld, save a ton of money. Especially when I start in on my Nova, it's got quite a bit of welding it needs hehe.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas :)

10. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

You're right, my rust looks like no problem in comparison. Your Mack buildup was pretty cool to read on your page. You should put a pic on the page of the full truck completed, all the shots are just of one section or another. Looks pretty nice.

11. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

Hey I gotta agree. I started out wanting to replace the rear floor and the rockers, and am currently fabbing the subframe parts for under the drivers seat, around the body mount. Since I went that far we decided to get rid of as much rust as possible. Now I'm thinking I should have just pulled the entire body off the frame and did a frame up resto, and bought a better body intact! All that's left on it right now is the grille,hood,doors and the roof, and half of the door posts. Had to do alot of fabbing, especially floor parts that you can't buy and where the rockers connect on to the door posts.Rust really sucks! Good luck!

88 K5... work in progress

12. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks Strathan for the compliments. I don't have any completely finished pics of the mack on the computer. I'm lazy and haven't been to my friends house who has a scanner yet. Some day I'll get a good totally finished pic. Thanks again
    Ben 87 Jimmy