Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rusty rockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 28, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

anyone got rusty rocker panels,or floorboards?im sure the majority of us do.how can i fix the rockers?im afrid im funna fall threw one day,and the floor is getting pretty bad.

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Get some sheet metal and find a mig welder if you don't have one. Sheet metal is really easy to work with. Cut out all of the old stuff first. Tack one area, then bend, then tack a little further down, then bend a little more, etc. Cut the rocker panels out and weld in a set of sliders from Bent and Twisted. Top quality stuff. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

one thing i noticed tough is on the floors..wear they meet up with the rockers..the floor goes up a little bit..like it is elevated a tiny bit or something, and if i just put some regualer old sheet medal up to the trocker when i went to replace it it would slop down..

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

HAHAHA. Rockers what are they? My inners are gone and I think the paint is holding what is left of the outers. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I'm in the middle of gutting my truck now. I plan to cure my rocker problem with 3"x3" square tube. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif As for the floor I'm going to patch it back together.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you know along wear the rockers go up to the floor the floor is elevated a little..ill have to take some pics i guess but i want to see a pic of someone that patched the floor there..i noticed my seat ..drvers side..is leaning tord the side..the left..meaning the floor is falling there...and wear the seat belts are is going to need to be fixed..and WHAT about that part wear it goes up a leval from the front to the rear cargo/seat area..what do you use to patch the corners up?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My rockers are just starting to rust out. I can see through the inner of the left one. The right is still in good shape. Think I'll go with a set of sliders from Bent and Twisted and cure it befor it becomes a problem.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Once I get into patching everything up I am going to fab up my own panels out of galvinazed. {sp} I will try and get the front carpet out tommorrow and take pics. The lower part where the seat belt attaches is wasted on mine. When I patch everything I'm not going for looks but function and strength then I will Hurculine everything.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i think im going to start gutting mine out tomorrow as well. i will take some pics to but ill have to wait till monday to get my computer back so i can loud the madness lol...

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Damn, looks like you were about ready to fall through.

11. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

On the floor portion where you talk about it sloping down and then it turns straight down then back level. If you take 16 ga material and use straight edge like your work bench with a hammer bending just a small amount all the way across the length back and forth you can shape that slope and the bend where it meets your rocker panel. It takes some paitence though. I used to be able to watch the ground go by while driving down the road in mine. At the rear where it slopes up to the bed I bent one piece around a culvert pipe to get that upslope radius and then had to cut two or three smaller pieces where it meets the bedside to finish it up. If you get that part done and live through it then I can hook you up on the rocker portion. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Wayne you may want to check your cab mount area,looks like you might have a problem with rust at the crossmember under the rear floor right ontop of the rear mounts.
    Either way it looks like you got alot of work ahead of you. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

13. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I bought new rocker panels, cut out the old ones and welded in new ones. It was much easier thatn I expected. I cut some sheet metal to cover the back side of the rockers as it was gone also. For those corners where the floor goes up behind the seat I cut out what was left of the rusty metal and welded in new corners from some thick sheet metal. Hope some of that helps.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I might just have too order the slider and step from ya, then head to body shop. I'm not good at body work. I can turn wrenches, but I'll leave the body work too those who know what they're doing !!!! Gonna do my axles first befor anything else.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i hate to say this..but my god, mine is worse than that by far!! lol..im not kidding..ill take some pics as soon as i can find a puter to put them up on..im going to need the whole rear section/tailpan...and new rockers, well..you see for your self..lol..im really going to need ur guys help more than ever hear! lol..COLLISION..you to! lol..

Bryan

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Problem with rust, what gave you the first clue. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Ya you are right though. Fortunately I have a nice rust free tub that I cut from a M Blazer. I cut it right behind the front seats. Funny thing is it was patched around the seat mount holes on both sides from cracking and not rust so I cut right behind that patch work. I'm debating if I want to fix my tub or cut it off and splice the other one in. The only problem with the splice is I still have to cut my outer quarter panels off and put them on the other tub because they are fubared.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lucky...man i would LOVE to find a nice tub...

18. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My tub is rust free, I took the carpet out expecting plenty of rust but only found a little surface rust in a few spots. The rockers are good, just a small hole or 2 in the corner where it meats the quarter panel i think, nothing serious.

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yeah the was a good score considering it was free. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I will start working on it soon. I know one thing though and that I am not putting carpet back in it. I think that is the main reason they rust. The tops leak the carpet gets wet and one thing leads to another.

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...all rhino liner for me... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif - hey cool we got new thingys