Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rusty seat help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Feb 5, 2002.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

My 89' K5 has driver and passanger seats that are in need of a little attention... they got some decent amout of rust on the base....so my question is....has anyone else fixed this problem (repainted them i assume), and how difficult was it to do (ie: is it a sunday afternoon job or does it require a little more time)..... thanks-

89 K5 Blazer 350 ci...2" susp. lift for BFG MT 33x12.5x15's on M/T Classic II 15x10's. My two-tone black and red baby...<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 89k5blazr on 02/05/02 12:39 AM.</FONT></P>

2. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

The seat braces on blazers are 8 bolts to remove driver side, 4 bolts to remove passenger side, and then you can take the braces off of the seats, but if they are really rusty, be sure not to snap rusty bolts from under the seats.
    you can remove the braces from the seats themselves, then sand, primer, paint...
    hope you can understand this :)

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!

3. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

cool.....i just wasnt sure if it was a big pain in the a** to take the seats out...

89 K5 Blazer 350 ci...2" susp. lift for BFG MT 33x12.5x15's on M/T Classic II 15x10's. My two-tone black and red baby...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 89 seats are bolted on the pedestals with 4 bolts each. I recently removed mine and it took me less than 15 minutes to remove both front seats and pedestals. Sand the bases down, blast em with some primer and paint and you're good to go. An easy afternoon job...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

A warning about the bolts, if they are rusty they snap easily and then you will have to drill , tap, etc...
    turns and easy job into a long one.
    if the bolt heads under the seats look rusty, use caution, spray em down with wd40 or some kind of oil.
    :)

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

And to keep the moisture from coming back up to your base after you pretty everything up, put a dab of silicone caulk on the bolts when you put it all back together.

John