Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rusty Tailgate!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SWIVEL, Jul 26, 2001.

1. SWIVEL

SWIVEL Registered Member

This is my first K5 and i am lovin it up. my 85 has a tailgate that is rusted pretty bad around the bottom and the rear cargo floor is rusted all the way through in some spots. is this common and is there anyway i can stop it?

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the real world, and congrats on being #3000, lol.
    I just laid new sheetmetal in the rear pan and you cant tell the difference.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah it can be common depending on where you live and other factors... just get some new sheet metal and weld it in the floor or have someone do it for you if you are like me and don't weld... you can buy sheets from places like LMC or you can find a rust free rig in a junk yard and take there's.... congrats on being member # 3000! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you look in the tech section on the home page I think there is a write up about this.

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

5. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Don't assume that its just cosmetic, make sure to look closely at the tailpan (where the tailgate hinges mount to the body. Both my 88 & 89 were rotted through and through in that area, very common on our rides. Check out the fix by Neil Pickett on on the CK5 page (tech tips, I think).

As for stopping the rust, I used a product by Dupli-Color called Rust Fix. Comes in a spray and although it took several coats to convert the rust, it worked fine. There's a product called Corroless (sp?) that converts rust and is sold with a companion undercoating paint, but I forget who sells it. Never used it, but heard good things. Perhaps someone else will share their experience with it.

Several of us have done this "oh so fun" repair. So a search on previous posts may reveal much.

Enjoy

John

6. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

my k10 had the same problem. the back of the bed (from tailgate to maybe 7 inches in) was real rust, I could poke holes with a screwdriver. I sawed all the rusty stuff off, got a nice clean edge, went to a metal shop, paid $20 for some good sheetmetal, and got it welded on. I think that section is stronger than it ever was, and after I herculined the inside of the truck, you don't really even notice the non-ribbed welded on piece. I think that is defintely the way to go...